Main Menu

3" to 2 1/4" collectors

Started by Shoooter, July 10, 2020, 11:21:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

I've been looking for a set of aluminized flat flange collectors and I cant find anything , especially here in Canada.  I have found some in mild steel but even those are sold out. Non of the shops here havethe ability to make them. I'm stuck as i can finish my schist without these. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Shoooter

:headbang: those are what I need but they dont ship international at this time, I'll have to see if the boarder opens up if I cant find another supplier 

Shoooter

A local shoo said they could stretch the 2 1/4" to go over a 2 1/2" collector that seems like it would be way too thin. I might have to get these shipped to a member in the northwest then pay for them to ship them up to me in Canada

Shoooter

Does anyone else think it will be too thin if its stretched to 2 1/2?

HP2

Why not use the 3-2.5 collector then use a reducer adapter available at nearly any parts store to go down to 2.25?

I've seen stretcher/shrinkers do some amazing things if the operator is good.

Shoooter

That's not a bad idea. I could tig welding and make it all pretty!

gzig5

If I had to do it I think I'd try making a cone on a slip roll, weld the seam,  and weld a 1" long ring of the required diameter on each end.  I may actually try this once I see how long my collector can be.  I have a slip roll and have been looking for projects for it.

Shoooter

Quote from: gzig5 on July 24, 2020, 03:00:55 PM
If I had to do it I think I'd try making a cone on a slip roll, weld the seam,  and weld a 1" long ring of the required diameter on each end.  I may actually try this once I see how long my collector can be.  I have a slip roll and have been looking for projects for it.

That would work great,  unfortunately I dont have a slip roll

gzig5

Quote from: Shoooter on July 24, 2020, 06:10:32 PM
Quote from: gzig5 on July 24, 2020, 03:00:55 PM

That would work great,  unfortunately I dont have a slip roll

They aren't expensive and it's a good excuse to get one.  Mo tools, mo betta.   :banana:
Or call a couple of fab/welding shops.  If you just have them roll the cone and you do the welding and finish work, it might not be too expensive. 

Actually, you may should be able to split a 3" pipe almost to the end, form the cone by overlaping the other end to the diameter you need, tack it, then run the cutoff wheel back down the middle to slice off the extra material, then weld the seam shut.  At least that is how it would work in my head. 

Shoooter

The reducer is probably the best way, or like I said they could stretch the 2 1/4 over a 2 1/2 collector but I'm worried it will end up being too thin

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RUNCHARGER

I think the pipe would be too thin if you stretched it 1/4" as well.
Sheldon

docmel

I recommend finding a mom and pop muffler shop  Avoid the chains like Meineke, etc.........   An indy shop can do exactly what you are looking for.  If yiou cant find one, a great source is check into your local car club.

Shoooter

Where I am there isn't really any great shops that can handle that. They only want quick jobs. I need to figure out the reducer part before I can get my intermediate pipe bent up. It's really hurting my progress.  I even called the pitstopusa people and they said I need to find someone else as they wont ship or bill to Canada