Main Menu

70 Challenger 340 Exhaust Manifolds

Started by challengermaniac, December 29, 2018, 01:45:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

challengermaniac

Hey guys,

This is my first post here on ebodies.org as I am a transplant from you know where! 

I want to change out the headers for stock exhaust manifolds on my 70 Challenger with a 340 (non numbers matching).  I have been provided a list of a part numbers (below), although with consideration only to correct fitment and not numbers matching, can I stray from this list and still get the manifolds that sort of look correctly configured to work as I NEVER see these part numbers for sale and even the reproduction ones offered by YearOne lack a cast part number?

For Reference:

1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

Floyd

Welcome to the board!  The 68-70 340 exhaust manifolds have a unique appearance and probably offer one of the best flow options when compared against other year stock manifolds.  I see them listed in many places but the prices are pretty high usually.  If you're patient you can probably put a set together for around $500.  The numbers listed above are part numbers, but the manifolds will have the "casting" number on them.  For the 68-70 you are looking for RH 2863549 and LH 2863553.

Here's a LH - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Selling-Nice-Original-Exhaust-Manifold-Hi-Po-340-68-70-2863553-Dart-Cuda-Etc/273538715571?

Good luck!

Dakota

Welcome aboard from Buffalo!  :wave:

If I recall correctly, I bought my stock manifolds from Brewer's. 

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.php?cat=179

They are pricey.  Some advice:  wherever you get them, make sure they're not cracked. The other item of note on these manifolds is the "riser valve" in the passenger side.  It's designed to redirect exhaust through a passageway in the stock intake manifold with the intent of warming up the engine more quickly.  Some used ones you'll see will have the riser removed and the shaft hole  plugged.  Some folks leave the external components for appearance but remove the metal plate inside the manifold that redirects the exhaust flow. 

Happy hunting. 

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to the site from Panama  :wave:
I remember you from you know where , Glad you joined us here  :bigthumb:

6bblgt

:welcome:

& "shakerhood.com" is the source of the reproductions, don't know who has the best price  :dunno: they're "discount exempt" at Year One

https://www.shakerhood.com/product/1968-71-340-exhaust-manifolds-duster-dart-plymouth-cuda-ta-aar-challenger-gts-70/

Cuda Cody

RUNCHARGER

A lot of used ones will be cracked. For function, the 71-74 setup while not looking as cool actually make just as much HP as the 70 setup does and they're much easier to find.
Sheldon

challengermaniac

Oh what money can buy!  Happy to have been able to purchase this set of hi po 340 exhaust manifolds.

Now I need the specific gaskets and bolt fasteners which I see are on ebay as well! 

Cudajason

Quote from: challengermaniac on February 06, 2019, 11:03:09 AM
Oh what money can buy!  Happy to have been able to purchase this set of hi po 340 exhaust manifolds.

Now I need the specific gaskets and bolt fasteners which I see are on ebay as well!

Nice...try Dave at Rosville Moparts for the fasteners!!  SITE SPONSOR!!!!

I went to manifolds last year...best decision I ever made!

Welcome over here too!!!

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Rich G.

Wait until you see the price for that drivers side gasket! 😳

challengermaniac

Yup, it's a heat shield as well although guess it's somewhat of an option to just use a regular gasket???

kawahonda

Awesome, I have the better flowing manifolds?

Driver manifold #: 2863553
Pass manifold #: 2863549
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

challengermaniac

Yes, these have better flow over the 71 and newer manifolds.

challengermaniac

My T/A had these same manifolds and I used the heat shield along with gaskets at the time.

So, with this new build (a 340), I am debating on whether to spend the extra coin on a heat shield for the left side or install these the noted stock exhaust manifolds without one (using Cometic Cooper Sealer. 

Thoughts on paying up for the Heat Shield or not?

challengermaniac

Hey guys,

Feel fortunate to have scored these original manifolds in excellent condition along with a bolt kit.

Now just need to decide on whether to go with standard gaskets or the heat shield for the left side and/or the Cometic Cooper Sealer...........

And then there is the matter of needing "down pipes" from the manifolds to the Magnaflow pipes.  Any suggestions on this?