Main Menu

70 Challenger 340 Exhaust Manifolds

Started by challengermaniac, December 29, 2018, 01:45:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

those manifolds really need the heat sheild to protect the wires & your hands if you reach in there , but for the cost I would fabricate something similar that is not a gasket & just sits under the bolt heads , manifolds never use a gasket otherwise it will leak so just use a thin layer of Ultra copper RTV
TTI has prebent down pipes to match the manifold #s

challengermaniac

That's a clever idea to simply craft a modified heat shield! 

I'm seriously considering something like these Spark Plug Boots given the $250 cost for a repro shield along with having it detract from the beauty of exhaust manifold and no need for originality with this car!
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

303 Mopar

Quote from: challengermaniac on February 21, 2019, 07:54:06 PM
That's a clever idea to simply craft a modified heat shield! 

I'm seriously considering something like these Spark Plug Boots given the $250 cost for a repro shield along with having it detract from the beauty of exhaust manifold and no need for originality with this car!

I have those on the 505 in my Charger, work great!

kawahonda

I just found out that my powder coating place can ceramic coat manifolds, and they do not charge very much to do so.

What is the color of the 340 Exhaust manifold? I think it's a grey, but is it a light grey or a dark grey? Anyone have a pic of an 340 manifold that's color correct?

Considering to remove them and have the shop do it. Good time to weld up the valve as well. Is there any benefits to ceramic coating manifolds other than making them look great again?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

anlauto

Quote from: kawahonda on March 19, 2019, 07:30:25 AM
I just found out that my powder coating place can ceramic coat manifolds, and they do not charge very much to do so.

What is the color of the 340 Exhaust manifold? I think it's a grey, but is it a light grey or a dark grey? Anyone have a pic of an 340 manifold that's color correct?

Considering to remove them and have the shop do it. Good time to weld up the valve as well. Is there any benefits to ceramic coating manifolds other than making them look great again?

Well...odd question because they were never powder coated from the factory, just bolted to the engine as bare casted parts and they received orange over spray when the engine was painted (or blue) . I would say the castings were a darker colour when new, but that would be a wild guess.

For what it's worth...I have all me manifolds ceramic coated in what my guy calls "cast grey"  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kawahonda

Good to know! Do you guys recommend any performance mods to the 340 hipo manifolds? If they're coming off for coating, it's a good time to consider any other options. I think I'm convinced that I should stick with mine.

I have a picture of my engine bay when it was new and yep, it looks bare with possibly some orange overspray.

340challconvert

I was pricing out the exhaust manifold/heat shield for my 70 A66 which I will eventually need.
Ouch!!! :takemymoney:
One on ebay from a vendor currently for $269 with the gasket, studs and washers included.

Does Roseville sell these?

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

anlauto

Quote from: 340challconvert on March 19, 2019, 09:25:11 AM
I was pricing out the exhaust manifold/heat shield for my 70 A66 which I will eventually need.
Ouch!!! :takemymoney:
One on ebay from a vendor currently for $269 with the gasket, studs and washers included.

Does Roseville sell these?

I just got a heat shield right from my local dealer...but it's NOT cheap ! :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

kawahonda

Where there two heat shields or just one? I "think" my Challenger only has one heat shield on the driver's side.

anlauto

Quote from: kawahonda on March 19, 2019, 09:59:26 AM
Where there two heat shields or just one? I "think" my Challenger only has one heat shield on the driver's side.
Correct

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: kawahonda on March 19, 2019, 07:50:35 AM
Good to know! Do you guys recommend any performance mods to the 340 hipo manifolds? If they're coming off for coating, it's a good time to consider any other options. I think I'm convinced that I should stick with mine.

I have a picture of my engine bay when it was new and yep, it looks bare with possibly some orange overspray.
I always port match exhaust manifolds & remove casting flaws