Main Menu

70 Challenger Exhaust

Started by plymouthbelvy, January 10, 2018, 10:15:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

plymouthbelvy

Hi guys,Bought  Accurate exhaust for my 70 challenger with 340 and factory hp manifolds. My car is a 4-speed and my z-bar is rubbing on the top of the new headpipe which is new by Accurate.Anybody else have this issue.I called them and they say its all my parts.My z-bar is incorrect.They gave me measurement of what it should be and mine is a perfect match so its not my z-bar as they are saying it is.Again just curious to see if anybody has had this issue.Not out to bash them. Thanks.

Cuda Cody

Can you post a quick photo of the area?

plymouthbelvy

Have pics but don't know how to add them.

plymouthbelvy

Added a couple of pics,thanks.

Cuda Cody

Are your HP 340 exhaust manifolds original or reproductions?  :thinking:

plymouthbelvy

1 Wild R/T

Look at the angle of the rod from the bell crank to the fork, seems like the arm should be closer toward the bell housing which would give clearance for the exhaust & improve the geometry of the clutch linkage....

plymouthbelvy

Thanks,I tried pushing towards bellhousing more but that's its.I had z-bar on off a couple of times to see whats going on.All new bushings and such.Thanks.

Cuda Cody

I think Wild is right.  Looks like your Z Bar needs to be over more? :dunno:

1 Wild R/T

Compared the length of the Z bar past the lever & also the pivot ball at the bell housing... Something is wrong, look how straight Cody's linkage is heading back to the clutch fork...

Shane Kelley

Z bar is definitely not far enough towards the bell housing. I'm wondering if the spring retainer that's on the other end is positioned on the outside of the bushing instead of the groove. Grab that Z bar and if it will move from side to side any you will know if the retainer is in the correct slot or not. It shouldn't move any.

Shane Kelley

Another thought would be is the ball stud bracket on the frame rail original?  :thinking: 

Chryco Psycho

To clarify the nylon bushings have a groove in the outer surface , the spring locks into the groove in the bushing to keep the Z bar centered correctly , so the spring may be on one side of the bushing rather than the middle , if you remove the spring the z bar will slide over sideways

Jim AAR

:iagree: I don't think the Z Bar is all the way into the Ball Stud on the bell housing, the rod should be almost perfectly straight (slight angle) to the Clutch Fork otherwise it will bind.  :alan2cents:

It doesn't look like the Bearing & Seal are all the way into the Z Bar on the Bellhousing Side