Main Menu

AAR Cuda Muffler Bracket Finish

Started by Gary AAR, December 24, 2020, 09:15:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Working on my 70 AAR Cuda, and have a question about the LH side muffler bracket that bolts to the body underside.  My original bracket is very rusty, so I can't tell what the correct original factory finish was.  Was it originally a yellow zinc (cadmium) finish as shown in the attached picture of a reproduction bracket available from Dales Cuda Shop?  Or was the factory original a plain steel part?  Was the bracket installed on the production line prior to paint?  If so, would it have gotten sprayed with underside primer along with the rest of the body underside, and then possibly a little body color overspray?
Just looking for information on the final correct finish.
Thanks for the help.

anlauto

Personally I think they were bare metal or maybe a phosphate coating when they left the factory :alan2cents: ....where's that picture of Dave Waldon's white Challenger ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

I can't answer whether or not originals were bare steel or plated.  Most of the repros I've seen are clear zinc/silver and I'd be surprised if thee DCS one is actually yellow/gold.

As for paint, the body was dipped in primer early in the process (not sprayed) and to the best of my knowledge, that part would have been attached later and be bare.

Those nylon insert nuts that come with the repros are wrong BTW.  They used a coni keeps nut with an integrated solid washer.

anlauto

I agree, they were definitely installed after the dip and paint process. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration