Main Menu

AAR Muffler

Started by Cudagirl3406, December 23, 2018, 01:06:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudagirl3406

Putting new mufflers on. Are they painted black or left natural?

cuda dad

Something like this is what I learned from Barry.  Not sure if the flat side goes in or out though.  Straps are natural.

6bblgt

here's a pic of a NOS pair

6bblgt

the flat goes toward the driveshaft & because they hang so low, the black paint is an attempt to hide them

this is not the correct or desired  look  :huh:

anlauto

..... I see a muffler and I wanted painted black.....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

AAR#2

The examples posted look a bit lower than they should be when installed correctly. Yes they do hang low but if the muffler hangers are correct and adjusted properly, and you have a correctly deformed tail pipe to allow it to be closely located to the floor pan, you should be able to achieve better results.

Rich G.

Was that what the Roling Stones meant to say???

ply64post

I always thought the flat on the mufflers always went toward the inside of the frame.I was told it was for 
  e brake cable clearance.

AAR#2

Quote from: ply64post on December 23, 2018, 05:27:22 PM
I always thought the flat on the mufflers always went toward the inside of the frame.I was told it was for 
  e brake cable clearance.
E-brake cable is a pretty good distance away.
Also worth noting is the muffler strap hardware in that picture should be on the outboard side of the muffler

6Pack70

Isn't there a specified Inlet and Outlet on T/A mufflers? Wouldn't that dictate which way the flat area should be facing at the rear?

anlauto

Quote from: 6Pack70 on December 23, 2018, 05:51:46 PM
Isn't there a specified Inlet and Outlet on T/A mufflers? Wouldn't that dictate which way the flat area should be facing at the rear?
Not really because then you would need a "right and left" muffler....

Notches go on the inside next to the driveshaft in my opinion. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6Pack70

Ahh... This is true.  I could have sworn I saw an nos or original T/A muffler with the word INLET  stamped into it a long time ago.  This might have been it.  Looks like a 3 70 date code also.  My guess would be that these mufflers might be originals because who would install banged up reproduction mufflers on a car this nice? 

303 Mopar

I had the AAR exhaust set up with non painted mufflers and did not like the look at all. They will not be able to fit that tight against the floor pan, so I would paint them.

6bblgt

with most muffler designs, there is an "INLET" & an "OUTLET"
one is simply up-side-down compared to the other side (& one part number and date is visible facing down, the other faces up)

& plenty of confusion available  :looney:

attached find the Parts Catalog pic of the AAR - T/A exhaust layout (with black mufflers & "flats" toward the centerline)
for the mufflers & "megaphones" to be square with the rocker panels, they sit lower than typical factory dual exhaust resonators

the tips had a "bump" to align with a "notch" in the muffler outlet - the attached NOS muffler & tip pics cannot both be accurate, as there is no way to mount them to place the visible RH "bump" in the "notch" of one of the mufflers

was the muffler inlet a welded connection on factory installations?  :thinking: