Main Menu

Black Widow exhaust?

Started by Bruno, April 26, 2021, 08:59:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bruno

I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has used Black Widow exhaust.  I purchased a set of Venom 250 mufflers for my Cuda and they are on their way.  I am wondering if I should have gone with the Race Venom instead for some extra sound.  A neighbor has them on his 70 Chevelle and they sound great but he's got a big block car.

Currently, I have Magnaflows and I'm not very impressed (they were on the car when I got them). My car is a numbers matching stock 360 and I'd prefer to keep the exhaust manifolds for originality.  Any input is appreciated.

Bruno

Nobody?  Well, I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig for this test. Here's a couple shots of the mufflers. I'll take some video with the Magnaflow and then after the Black Widows are installed. Wish me luck.  :fingerscrossed:

HP2

Never heard of these guys but looking at that picture, any muffler you can see through, even at an angle, is going to be loud. If this is their quiet version, I have to wonder what the race version would sound like.

I do seem to recall some testing back about 10 years ago where a set of Flowmasters  created more cfm and horsepower than an set of open headers and did it with a much lower decible level than  many other competitors. I forget the specific Flowmaster part number, but I'm sure its out there on teh interwebs someplace.

Looking forward to seeing you follow up.

7212Mopar

Engine compression ratio makes a difference in exhaust notes, especially at idle. Post a video when done.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

autoxcuda

Quote from: 7212Mopar on April 29, 2021, 07:52:10 AM
Engine compression ratio makes a difference in exhaust notes, especially at idle. Post a video when done.

Please make a BEFORE video too so we and you can hear the difference.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Bruno

My car is a numbers matching 360 car. I'm not expecting it to sound like a pro touring car with 500 hp and an aggressive cam. I just hate the way the Magnaflow sounds and I wanted something different from Flowmaster. I'll do a video before and after but I'm going into this a little blind.

autoxcuda

Quote from: Bruno on April 29, 2021, 08:24:06 AM
My car is a numbers matching 360 car. I'm not expecting it to sound like a pro touring car with 500 hp and an aggressive cam. I just hate the way the Magnaflow sounds and I wanted something different from Flowmaster. I'll do a video before and after but I'm going into this a little blind.

Appreciate you sharing and helping others.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Bruno

Got the new mufflers installed today. Personally, I think they sound way better. For reference, my car is a numbers matching 360 with exhaust manifolds. From there it is a 2.5 inch true dual system. The car had magnaflow mufflers.  I don't know the model number but they were 14" long. I installed the Black Widow Venom 250 which is also a 14" case. The car now has more of a flowmaster type sound. I've had them on the city streets and freeway. There is a slight drone from 48-52 mph but not anywhere else. Overall, I'm very happy with them.

I tried to upload before and after videos but I was not allowed to. If anyone is interested in these mufflers and wants to hear them, I can email them upon request.

7212Mopar

May be you need to have enough posts in order to add a video link? Which part of NCal are you in? May be I run into you some day if any of the car shows ever happen this year.

7212Mopar

BTW, I am sure you are aware of the exhaust law in CA so be careful when open up the throttle. I find it more cops working on Saturday than on Sunday in my area. It is more headache than before because it is no longer just a fixer ticket.

Bruno

Quote from: 7212Mopar on April 30, 2021, 07:01:04 PM
BTW, I am sure you are aware of the exhaust law in CA so be careful when open up the throttle. I find it more cops working on Saturday than on Sunday in my area. It is more headache than before because it is no longer just a fixer ticket.
I'm between SF and Sacramento. I've seen a couple random shows pop up and there's one in Winters tomorrow (5/1) but I'm not sure I'll make it. I'm not worried about any new exhaust laws for my car. Those are generally focused on modern cars running basically open exhaust (hellcat owners, I'm looking at you).

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: HP2 on April 29, 2021, 06:24:20 AM
Never heard of these guys but looking at that picture, any muffler you can see through, even at an angle, is going to be loud. If this is their quiet version, I have to wonder what the race version would sound like.

I think muffler design has a lot more to do with it.   I'm running a Hooker aero-chamber on my Dakota.  I can see straight through it with none of the baffles blocking the airflow.   The muffler is fairly moderate in volume and has very little drone, even for a 3" diameter exhaust.

ledphoot

Interesting muffler. You could post the videos you made on YouTube and use the YouTube link feature in the forum to post it here.

As for Kalifornia exhaust laws, the police don't seem to bother us old guys with our old cars too much, we don't fit the profile they are after. I had a little black Honda Civic commuter that was lowered with Tinted windows about 15 years ago, no exhaust system and I got pulled over all the time in that car. I was literally profiled because of the stupid little civic. Seriously coming out of a drive through inside a parking lot at a shopping and a Sunnyvale cop decided to hassle me, asked me if I was on probation all kinds of stupid crap... I was in my mid 30's wearing a polo shirt and khakis, just got off work at NetApp... Gas was stupid expensive so I was driving the Honda instead of my truck. Once I sold that car I never got pulled over again.

Last week I was driving the Cuda with the hood off, making all kinds of racket and an officer went right past me not giving me a second look.

HP2

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on October 19, 2021, 05:24:03 PM
Quote from: HP2 on April 29, 2021, 06:24:20 AM

I think muffler design has a lot more to do with it.   I'm running a Hooker aero-chamber on my Dakota.  I can see straight through it with none of the baffles blocking the airflow.   The muffler is fairly moderate in volume and has very little drone, even for a 3" diameter exhaust.

Oh, I entirely agree. Design is the key to it all, but as you said, even your Hooker's have very little drone. If you want no drone at all, you probably won't find it with a muffler that you can look straight through. But we all get to choose what we want to live with in exhaust sound.