Main Menu

Catalytic Converters For Vintage Muscle Cars...

Started by TheGanzman, June 08, 2018, 01:33:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

TheGanzman

Stumbled across this last night when doing a Search for same - leave it to the Swedes!
http://www.redbackconverters.com/classic-car-catalytic-converter/
Anyone out there gone this route yet?  This is THE #1 complaint that *I* have with vintage cars, when I'm driving one, riding in one, or behind one; my wife's #1 complaint too! 

Dakota

I'm planning to add a set to my Challenger.   It's the main reason I'm going with a fuel injection system (FiTech) instead of a carb as everything I've read indicates it's difficult/impossible for a carb to maintain the air/fuel ratio steady enough to prevent the converter from overheating.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Dakota on June 08, 2018, 02:13:26 PM
I'm planning to add a set to my Challenger.   It's the main reason I'm going with a fuel injection system (FiTech) instead of a carb as everything I've read indicates it's difficult/impossible for a carb to maintain the air/fuel ratio steady enough to prevent the converter from overheating.

Manufacturers started using cats in 74... They still used some carbs clear up to the late 80's.... I agree the FI is gonna do a better job of keeping the cat happy but plenty of carb equipped vehicles have run cats....

Katfish

Wonder how much they cost?
I agree the eye watering fumes are a pain.
I switched to Fitech, it definitely made a difference, but didn't eliminate the smell.
Wonder where in the system it has to be, if I could add it to the rear near the tips, I'd consider them.
Unfortunately I'd bet they need to be near the manifolds.

TheGanzman

Yes, as close to the exhaust manifolds/headers as possible...

And yes, the cats that I referenced above WILL work with a carburetor-equipped vehicle...

Finally, I believe that these are pretty close to US$400 each, "all-in", inclusive of shipping...

Katfish

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Katfish on June 08, 2018, 04:37:02 PM
I'm out.................................

Because of placement? Or cost?  if cost is a factor follow my link.... Magnaflow cats are $65 each from Amazon....

Katfish

Placement, I have TTI exhaust that i already modded for the Fitech O2 sensor, not going to spend more money to get that all redone.
Fitech greatly reduce the rich gas smell i had with the carb.
And i'm not sure there's any room to mount something like that before the H-pipe.

Brads70

ToxicWolf

:haha: sorry but being my age, this brings back memories of all of the converters we cut out in the shop when they started putting them in. People would bring in their new cars and pay us to "get these things out of there".

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: ToxicWolf on June 08, 2018, 05:10:13 PM
:haha: sorry but being my age, this brings back memories of all of the converters we cut out in the shop when they started putting them in. People would bring in their new cars and pay us to "get these things out of there".

The cats from the seventies absolutely choked engines..... The technology has advanced from that a little....  I gotta admit I love the smell of race fuel but few muscle cars have enough compression to justify the cost of race fuel, fact is most of us build knowing or hoping to be able to run pump premium....  And that stuff can smell nasty.... So cats can make sense for our toys..

DodgeGuy

Any idea on how/if it would affect the sound at all?  Let's face it, the sound of the exhaust is a BIG part of the car.
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

Dakota

There's some history on cat converters and way too much chemistry in this article:

https://eic.rsc.org/feature/the-evolution-of-catalytic-converters/2020252.article

As noted, the technology has advanced quite a bit from the early versions. 

ToxicWolf