Main Menu

Challenger exhaust tips how far do they stick out

Started by Brads70, January 27, 2017, 01:30:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

I'll be adding a new AMD rear valance and R/T dual exhaust tips. What is the "correct" amount they should stick out?   Is there a engineering drawing or something showing this?  :notsure:

Cuda Cody

Didn't see anything in the parts catalog, but here's what it did have....

Cuda Cody

Roadman

@ToxicWolf  and I researched that on his car. Never found exact info, so we set them 1 inch out from the valance on the top. Looked best ( to us ) there.   :alan2cents:

anlauto

I generally do about an inch or so....They look pretty goofy when out too far and not cool enough if in too far....

You'll figure out the perfect length you want....Your car doesn't exactly "follow the rules" :takealook:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Spikedog08

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

61K T/A

My original Cuda tips stick out about 3/4 inch. It looks right.

fc7cuda

I set mine to what looks right/good to me.  My Challenger tips definitely stick out further than my Cuda tips.  Of the few survivor cars I've seen, I can't say there was a factory preset.  :alan2cents:

Tom

303 Mopar

My '71 was set 1" out from the valance.  You can see them here compared to @CudaKat's '73 Cuda that are set closer in.  In the end it's what looks best to you.

Burdar

I don't think there was a "factory" spec.  The factory tips fit INSIDE the muffler.  The tips will only go in so far before they stop.  I'm sure that's what they did at the factory.  They didn't have time to measure each side.  Just shoved them in there until they stopped and if they still had time, tighten the clamp.(if not, someone else will fix it)

They definitely look goofy if they stick out a lot.  I think 3/4"- 1" is about right. IMO  Do what you think looks best.  My tips were  a little too close to the valance so I added a spacer between the trunk floor and the hanger.  Slightly lowering the tip makes it look like it's sticking out farther.

71GranCoupe

Another set of tips to compare.

HP_Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on January 27, 2017, 04:40:16 PM
I generally do about an inch or so....They look pretty goofy when out too far and not cool enough if in too far....

You'll figure out the perfect length you want....Your car doesn't exactly "follow the rules" :takealook:

:iagree:

I think this is spot on, any less and it seems to tucked in and too far out looks like it's out of place.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

headejm

Roadman

Quote from: headejm on January 30, 2017, 03:30:28 PM
Another vote for 1".  :yes:

That's NOT what she said.    :rofl:

70chall440

Ive always set them about 1" out or so. Too far looks goofy and too little leaves the valance black.
Mopar or no car!!!