Main Menu

Challenger exhaust tips how far do they stick out

Started by Brads70, January 27, 2017, 01:30:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

Eight months ago, I purchased a 73 Challenger. Never paid much attention to the exhaust tips sicking out 2-3/4" from the body. see pic. My neighbor who has a 70 Challenger  this morning coincidentally asked if his quad exhaust tips should stick out more because the tips are flush with the valence panel. Then, I read this thread an hour later. My thoughts are whatever you prefer. I am going to move them in an  inch now that it has been brought to my attention.

70chall440

My experience is that if they are flush they look good but your valance will get pretty filthy quick, if they are out slightly they tend to not get the valance as dirty as fast and don't look bad. If they are too far out IMO they don't look as good but as you have stated, I believe its all personal preference.
Mopar or no car!!!

kawahonda

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

ToxicWolf

Quote from: kawahonda on August 14, 2018, 08:35:58 PM
X pipe is proven HP over H pipe...period!!

Absolutely correct.  But I still prefer the sound of the "H" pipe.  Just personal preference.  :waving:

Dakota

I know this is an old post, but I have a related question about the gap between then top of the exhaust tip and the bottom edge of the valence cut-out.   What has worked for folks?

anlauto

Should be an equal gap on all three sides in my opinion :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

My exhaust was a little too tight and while back up, the exhaust would flex enough that the tips would rattle on the valance.  I added some spacers between the trunk floor and rear hanger to gain a little more clearance.

RUNCHARGER

I try to get them equal all around, I've never had a problem with them rubbing.
Sheldon

headejm

Quote from: anlauto on June 25, 2020, 06:33:36 AM
Should be an equal gap on all three sides in my opinion :alan2cents:

:iagree: I install mine protruding about 1" and you can use your index finger to check clearance on the three sides.   :cheers: