Main Menu

Cuda rear fender lip height ?

Started by Racer57, May 10, 2021, 08:38:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

My car measures 25 1/4" - 25 1/2" at all corners measured at the top of the fender lip. What should it be, especially the rear ?

I don't know if the rear is sagging, or stock and the front has been rebuilt, so I don't know what it was from the factory either.  I have 15" 245/60 front and 275/60 rears

I've been debating for quite awhile exactly how to raise the rear and have talked about this issue before. I've considered buying new rear leafs, but if the present measurement reflects sagging leafs,   then any amount added to factory will be possibly more than I want.

Chryco Psycho

My bet is if you are only at 25.5" on the rear with too tall 275 60 tires the leafs have sagged , personally 275/60 on the rear looks too tall , if you drop back to a 25" tall tire more like the factory used you will be 1 " low in the rear , I would just add a singe extra main leaf under you original main leaf & I bet the look will be right on .

Racer57

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 10, 2021, 09:18:02 PM
My bet is if you are only at 25.5" on the rear with too tall 275 60 tires the leafs have sagged , personally 275/60 on the rear looks too tall , if you drop back to a 25" tall tire more like the factory used you will be 1 " low in the rear , I would just add a singe extra main leaf under you original main leaf & I bet the look will be right on .

Where can I get just the main ? I checked with springsandthings that they don't sell only the main.  I don't know of anyone in my area with a used set. 

Chryco Psycho

Is there a spring manufacturer or rebuilder in your area , we had a local shop called Standens that would rebuild suspensions for everything from light trailers to off Road Semi tractors where I could source any spring needed , or a wrecking yard ?

Racer57

I was wrong. Front is 235/60/15 and rear is 255/60/15
Here is pic of spring. Both look same.  I don't know if their suppose to be flat or have an arch. If their not suppose to be flat, how much would new raise the car ?

76orangewagon

here ya go...."044" factory springs ...main spring re-arched at 6 1/2"-6 3/4" from my local spring shop..the quarter panel height should be around 26 1/4" with a 26.10" tire.

MoparLeo

Racer57  Just for reference, if you look in the Factory Service Manual in the spring section Group 17, it will explain that  the rear springs were designed to be flat or even have a slightly reversed arc. This designed was to enhance handling, the arched spring was for towing/ HD applications only. Read the complete section for specs and servicing instructions, torque specs etc...
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Rich G.

I only have 24 1/2" to the wheel lip with 255x60-15 tires and Mopar Performance springs. Rides nice but I think it's to low. I've heard those springs aren't that good of course after I put them on.

HP2

When installed, as stated above, stock Mopar springs appear to be virtually flat. This is normal.  The SS springs, on the other hand, have a lot of camber(arch is what most of us call it) built in to them.

Racer57

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 11, 2021, 08:32:11 AM
Is there a spring manufacturer or rebuilder in your area , we had a local shop called Standens that would rebuild suspensions for everything from light trailers to off Road Semi tractors where I could source any spring needed , or a wrecking yard ?
I looked suspension over and realized it was going to be a lot more work to remove the springs than I first realized due to the rear valance. I did some checking and found out about a place with a very good reputation about 45 min drive away. I called and they said I can be in/out in about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.  They add a spring and will not let car leave until its raised exactly the amount I want and both sides are the exact same.  Thanks for the info. 

Chryco Psycho

mjb765

Just to revive this thread..I did a google search and found it. I have a 70 Cuda with 275/60 15's on 15 X 8 and the rear at the fender lip is 25" and I think it looks low. From what I read this would appear that the springs sagged or were sagged at some point....I don't know how old or what they are. What should I buy to replace them--stock height or +1" for ESPO.