Main Menu

Electric cutouts stopped working

Started by usraptor, July 09, 2020, 05:04:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

I Know this is a long shot but in case anybody else has had similar experience I thought I just put this out there. I have a set of Hooker Electric Cutouts installed on my '70 'Cuda.  I love them and have been very happy with their operation for the past two years.  While getting the 'Cuda ready for a car show this Sat I tried to open them and they won't open.  I put the car on the lift and checked all the wires and connections under the car and everything was good.  I then crawled under the dash and checked the power and ground wires and they were also good.  There is a little black box in the wire harness that has a circuit board and a couple of little black boxes/diodes? I assume this is the receiver for the fob that then opens the cutouts. When I push the key fob remote I don't hear any clicking or sounds coming from the box.  I'm not sure if I'm supposed to but this seems like the only culprit left. Even though the light came on on the fob when I pushed the buttons, I still bought and installed new batteries.  It didn't make a difference.
I emailed Holley tech support but they said it can take up to two days to respond and that would mean Monday.  I also googled troubleshooting the Hooker electric cutouts and all I got was places that sell them.  Anybody have any experience with these or suggestions?   :help:

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

usraptor

Sorry, I put new batteries in the Fob.  Edited original post to reflect that.

HP2

Exhaust gas and condensation has locked the blades of the diverter in place?

usraptor

Quote from: HP2 on July 10, 2020, 06:37:50 AM
Exhaust gas and condensation has locked the blades of the diverter in place?

HP2 I don't think that's the issue as I don't hear the electric motors even working/trying to work.  I'll check anyway to make sure.
Thanks for the suggestion.

CudaMoparRay

I have never met (installed) a single set of Cut-Outs that did not fail within 2 years either because exhaust junk sealed the valve or electrical problems.
They are nice while they last.

Brads70

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on July 10, 2020, 01:28:25 PM
I have never met (installed) a single set of Cut-Outs that did not fail within 2 years either because exhaust junk sealed the valve or electrical problems.
They are nice while they last.

That was my first thought as well. I've never had them but was considering them until I researched and read about that very issue. :notsure:

usraptor

Had the car up on the lift today and checked the gate value and it's not stuck.  Also, operated the fob while standing there and the electric motor that opens the value didn't even try to engage.  No sound out of it at all so it's not getting power.  I'm still thinking the receiver that that gets the signal from the fob died.  Didn't have time to work on it further today as I spent all day detailing 'Cuda inside and out for tomorrow's car show.  Will check it out further next week. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

ToxicWolf

I have cutouts on mine but gave up on them.  I just left them and cut the wires to them.

usraptor

I received an email response from Holley today. They're sending me not only a new wire harness, but two new electric motors for the cut-out butterfly valves, no charge.  Now that's what I call customer service! :clapping: