Main Menu

Exhaust body hangers

Started by dave73, September 19, 2017, 07:00:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

I have a 73 challenger and when I bought it, it had some jimmy rigged exhaust that I removed. I don't see a hanger bracket on the passenger side under the rear seat, do 73s not have those? I was expecting to buy the drivers side bracket and be good to go, but I don't see the dimples to drill the holes on the driver side either? Looking for a simple solution, should I just buy the 70 brackets?

Cuda Cody

Can you post a photo of what yours looks like?

Burdar

73s use these hangers on the passengers side.  They mount on the shock x-member.  Look for a bracket welded to the shock x-member where this hanger mounts.

dave73

Burdar - I don't have that hanger on the passenger side. Very likely the previous owner removed it when they did whatever they did to the exhaust.

I ended up having a body mount for the drivers side in a pile of old parts I ordered. I installed that last night, worked really well. I may order another one for the passenger side, I like the way it worked out

MoparDave

Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

moparmadman69

Quote from: dave73chally on September 21, 2017, 08:37:10 AM
Burdar - I don't have that hanger on the passenger side. Very likely the previous owner removed it when they did whatever they did to the exhaust.

I ended up having a body mount for the drivers side in a pile of old parts I ordered. I installed that last night, worked really well. I may order another one for the passenger side, I like the way it worked out

Like @Burdar said you can just get the right side hanger and it will bolt right in. No hassles. There should be a spot on the shock x-member for it to bolt right up too. You can put a floor pan bracket and another lower main support hanger on the car but you might be creating unnecessary work for yourself. If you do put a floor pan bracket on it you would want to do it after you have all the exhaust hung on the car to insure proper placement.

Here is a link the the proper hanger for your car: http://www.accurateltd.com/Hanger-Main-Support-Right-Side-for-71-74-B-body71-74-E-bodyD-768-Z_p_142.html

Are you going to put factory exhaust back on the car?

Burdar

It looks like you've changed that hanger since I bought mine.  Your hanger now has the correct strap and bolts. Mine came with the wide strap and was attached with studs/nuts. It's nice to see that you made it more "correct". :bigthumb:

Mrbill426

Does anyone have photos of both (left & right)  bracket/hangers installed, but before the pipes are hung?

Thanks!
:wrenching:

MoparDave

this should work
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Mrbill426

I wish I had taken more photos of the exhaust when we took the car apart  ::)

Here is a pic of what is left of the hanging hardware

Here is a pic of the area under the back seat after the axle and fuel tank were removed; pretty weird setup there  :rubeyes:  The car came with dual exhaust but there is only a pipe hanger bracket under the seat on the drivers side, none on the passenger side.  Someone lag bolted in a "tether" to the passenger side floor.  I can't seem to find a definitive diagram on exactly what hardware the car should have, and where it mounts. :dunno: I am pretty sure that tether on the drivers side is wrong too.
1972 Cuda, 340, built in April of '72

1 Wild R/T

You have an interesting mismatched group of parts there...... You have a pair of 74 rear mounts, plus a set of 70-73 rear mounts... You have single proper 73-74 over axle hanger plus you have a 70-72 drivers side muffler hanger & the passenger side if it is a 70-72 should have a similar bracket welded to the body...

Mrbill426

I am not sure what the deal is.  I know the car is a '72, or so says all the Vins I have found in the right places, the 2 fender tags, and the build sheet I found on the glove box liner.
I think the car was wrecked at least once, maybe twice in it's lifetime; some really weird patch jobs found during tear down.   Maybe a shop took parts off other year cars to fix it?  The exhaust resonators were removed at one point leaving only the mufflers in the back.  I will measure the pipes again. but I think they are 2" all the way back.  In the aftermarket I see only 2 1/4" ??  The new tips I bought are 2" .   I read somewhere a while ago that the right and left pipes were suspended differently in the back, and that there was no floorboard bracket on the right?  :dunno:

I have the car posted here too:  https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project/10/our-72-cuda-project/3731/msg55692#new

I appreciate the help sorting this out to get it right  :bigthumb:

:wrenching:

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on October 03, 2017, 08:47:57 PM
You have an interesting mismatched group of parts there...... You have a pair of 74 rear mounts, plus a set of 70-73 rear mounts... You have single proper 73-74 over axle hanger plus you have a 70-72 drivers side muffler hanger & the passenger side if it is a 70-72 should have a similar bracket welded to the body...

moparmadman69

One minor correction. Mid 71 and up don't have a floor pan bracket welded to the body on the passenger side as they moved the hanger to the shock x-member support. Lower hanger on the drivers side is correct though.

Mrbill426

Quote from: moparmadman69 on October 04, 2017, 08:16:16 AM

One minor correction. Mid 71 and up don't have a floor pan bracket welded to the body on the passenger side as they moved the hanger to the shock x-member support. Lower hanger on the drivers side is correct though.

Well that makes sense why there was no fixture for a hanger under the right floorboard; I'll have to figure out the x-member mount.  Hopefully the vendors know.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Burdar on September 20, 2017, 09:40:58 AM
73s use these hangers on the passengers side.  They mount on the shock x-member.  Look for a bracket welded to the shock x-member where this hanger mounts.

From above...