Main Menu

exhaust entering trunk

Started by jt4406, May 26, 2019, 03:59:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jt4406

:thinking:   70 challenger 440, stock exhaust with chrome tips out rear valance....  I am getting exhaust rolling up the back of the car and entering the trunk. You can see where the heat is trying to discolor the paint along the underside of the trunk lid outside the line where the trunk seal contacts the lid and recently that discoloring is getting past the seal and traveling toward the center of the lid. You can also smell the exhaust inside the car. I am ordering a new trunk seal and will install it as soon as it comes, but here's a question.....has anyone developed some sort of baffle that one could clip to the exhaust tips (on an extended trip) that would direct the exhaust down and away from the back of the car? My tips exit the valance and stick out about an inch, measured on the top of the tip.  Opinions?  jess 
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

GoodysGotaCuda

I'm sort of surprised that it's working its way back into the car. I would think if you had any sort of higher pressure inside the cabin [window cracked, vent cracked, blower motor on] it would make the exhaust favor the path of least resistance.

A well adjusted trunk lid and a good seal should prevent this. Even with an AAR spoiler, which makes a low[er] pressure area right at the trunk lid, I don't seem to have this issue.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

1 Wild R/T

I had a similar issue years ago after changing shocks, I'd neglected to reinstall the plugs over the upper shock mounts, as soon as I reinstalled them the problem went away.... Any chance your missing a plug in the trunk floor?

Bullitt-

I've heard not having a back seat  trunk divider can aggravate the situation....
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

jt4406

Thanks guys, this happens with the windows rolled up and a/c on. The shock plugs are in there and rear seat/trunk divider is in place. Smell inside car isn't bad (colorless, odorless part will kill you!) but needs to be eliminated, thus the new trunk seal idea. I was hoping someone had an idea about some kind of clip on baffle I could attach to the (bottom?/top?) of the exhaust tips that would pull the exhaust away from the rear panel. I worry that, if nothing else, the heat from the exhaust will eventually discolor the paint back there. jess
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

headejm

Maybe you are not driving fast enough to properly evacuate the exhaust?  :burnout:

BIGSHCLUNK

Vert's dont have a trunk divider.. never had an issue

floorit426

I replaced the trunk seal, problem solved.

Chryco Psycho

What about the bottom of the trunk drops there is supposed to be a seal there also , or if there s any rust in that area .