Main Menu

Exhaust fumes inside the car

Started by 70rag383, September 09, 2021, 03:10:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70rag383

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 13, 2021, 01:37:56 PM
Most of my gasoline cologne issues have been eliminated with some carb tuning, although I still get some smell in the car right after a short full throttle blast.  What kind of carb are you running?
Running an Edelbrock carb.

anlauto

Is it still clean and shiny ?  :) You asked for "bling" remember  8) :rofl:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70rag383

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: 70rag383 on September 13, 2021, 01:55:27 PM
Most of my gasoline cologne issues have been eliminated with some carb tuning, although I still get some smell in the car right after a short full throttle blast.  What kind of carb are you running?

Have you done any tuning (dyno, wideband meter, or plug reading) to ensure that you're not running too rich?

70rag383

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on September 13, 2021, 03:19:37 PM
Quote from: 70rag383 on September 13, 2021, 01:55:27 PM

Have you done any tuning (dyno, wideband meter, or plug reading) to ensure that you're not running too rich?

Tuned the carb (leaned it very slightly), the plugs were the right colour, sort of tan-brownish and not a black and sooty.  No dyno testing. What is wideband meter testing? Not familiar with that. Thanks for the feedback.

DeathProofCuda

Just a wide band air/fuel ratio meter.  There are lots of options out there.

This is the one I am currently using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3VGPYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Burdar

QuoteI think that only works with race gas.

QuoteJEGS Grape Fuel Fragrance is a highly concentrated formula made for mixing with motor fuel to eliminate the foul smell of exhaust fumes. This additive is completely safe for all internal combustion engines including gasoline, methanol or diesel engines, 2 or 4 stroke, with or without nitrous.

IRON MAN

Place a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in your trunk. The type that is in newer homes. If it goes off you got leaks.  If it doesn't, move it to another location in the car, until you discover where the leak is. CO fumes are unhealthy and dangerous.

Cudajason

Quote from: IRON MAN on September 14, 2021, 10:43:41 AM
Place a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in your trunk. The type that is in newer homes. If it goes off you got leaks.  If it doesn't, move it to another location in the car, until you discover where the leak is. CO fumes are unhealthy and dangerous.
\
how would you power that?

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Cudajason on September 14, 2021, 12:19:35 PM
Quote from: IRON MAN on September 14, 2021, 10:43:41 AM
\
how would you power that?

Most run off of a 9v battery so they still work when home power is down.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Katfish

Quote from: Burdar on September 09, 2021, 08:11:19 PM
I've also thought about that stuff some racers use in their fuel to make it smell good.  Not sure how expensive it is.  You can get it from Summit.

That stuff works, have several bottles on the shelf.  Cotton Candy
Quit using it when I went to the Fitech EFI, no more stinky clothes

IRON MAN

Quote from: Katfish on September 14, 2021, 12:30:13 PM
Quote from: Burdar on September 09, 2021, 08:11:19 PM
I've also thought about that stuff some racers use in their fuel to make it smell good.  Not sure how expensive it is.  You can get it from Summit.

That stuff works, have several bottles on the shelf.  Cotton Candy
Quit using it when I went to the Fitech EFI, no more stinky clothes
Home Depot also sells hand-held meters for measuring the amount of Carbon monoxide in the area, which you could use while driving. 

Ifixmycarmyself

Had the same problem. I adjusted trunk lid, lowering it, so that the seal is sealing better and the problem is now solved. To 99% :)

IRON MAN

Have you considered mounting a Go--Wing rear spoiler to see if it reduces or eliminates exhaust fumes from entering the car?

70rag383

Quote from: IRON MAN on September 16, 2021, 03:45:39 PM
Have you considered mounting a Go--Wing rear spoiler to see if it reduces or eliminates exhaust fumes from entering the car?

the thought of a go-wing never crossed my mind. do you have one laying around?   ;)

I really like the traction my post received. thanks for all the ideas guys.  :thankyou: