Main Menu

Exhaust hanger location

Started by usraptor, June 07, 2017, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Went to install my new TTI 3" exhaust system in my '70 'Cuda and the instructions naturally say to start at the rear of the car.  My car has a new trunk pan and there are no indents to tell me where to mount the exhaust hangers.  I did a search and found the attached diagram.  I'm pretty sure I understand the placement, but before I start drilling holes in the new floor plan I wanted to make sure and have the experts here verify please.  As I understand the drawing the inside hole for BOTH support plates (for lack of a better term) are 14" from the center line of the trunk pan and 8 1/2" inches forward of the rear edge of the trunk pan.  Considering one side of the exhaust system is offset from the other it seems odd that both hangers would be in the same exact position from the center line, but than again, maybe by the time the exhaust pipes get to the rear of the car they're symmetrical again.   :notsure: :help:

Shane Kelley

Yours don't have the big rectangle indention's? Maybe these pics will help you. Put your brackets on the inside and mark your holes.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Looks for those stampings then add your holes.  They normally do not come with holes already drilled as some people might run single exhaust or side exhaust.

usraptor

Nope, my trunk pan does not have those indentations.  So back to my original question, am I interpreting the diagram correctly?

A.Gramz

Sorry I don't have a cuda but could you tell us the manufacture of your floor pan and 1 or 2 pc for future info.

usraptor

A.Gramz, I'm sorry, I don't know who made the trunk pan. I bought it through Year One.  It was a two piece pan.

usraptor

Here's a couple pics of my trunk pan.  As you can see there are no indents like the photo Shane Kelly posted.  Based on the two smooth areas on my pan where Kelly had indentations, I would assume that's where they go.

Next question, anybody know where I can buy the trunk plates?  I kept my originals but they are so badly rusted I'd prefer to buy new ones rather than try and restore these.  I can find sets with the exhaust hangers, but not the plates by themselves.   I don't need the hangers as the TTI exhaust system came with new hangers.

Cudajason

Yep i would say thats where they go.

Here are some pics of my trunk...all origoinal.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

usraptor

Thanks Cudajason, that's perfect!  :twothumbsup:

Cuda Cody

@moparmadman69  with Accurate Exhaust should be able to get you the part you need.

Quote from: usraptor on June 07, 2017, 05:33:52 PM
Next question, anybody know where I can buy the trunk plates?  I kept my originals but they are so badly rusted I'd prefer to buy new ones rather than try and restore these.  I can find sets with the exhaust hangers, but not the plates by themselves.   I don't need the hangers as the TTI exhaust system came with new hangers.

usraptor

Cody, thanks but I just found and ordered them from Hoover Auto parts.

shawge

I changed out the trunk pan in my Challenger. Used the exhaust shields as templates for where to put the holes for the hangers.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet