Main Menu

Exhaust Manifold Mounting Hardware Questi

Started by Gary AAR, August 27, 2019, 05:22:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Looking for help in identifying the correct hardware that attaches the exhaust manifolds to the engine on my 1970 AAR Cuda with original 340 T/A block.  I am the second owner of the car, so I can't be sure the hardware I have is correct.  I was also reviewing the info in the Dave Wise E-Body Hardware book (Section 222.3, 1970 340 engine), and was confused with the quantities and size of bolts listed.  The following is what I have:
RH side exhaust manifold 2863549
    (2) studs with conical washers and nuts on the two outside holes.
    (2) 5/16-18 x 1 1/8 hex head bolts with conical washers.
    (2) 5/16-18 x 3 1/2 hex head bolts with conical washers.
LH side exhaust manifold 2863553
    (2) studs with conical washers and nuts on the two outside holes.
    (2) 5/16-18 x 1 1/8 hex head bolts with conical washers.
    (2) 5/16-18 x 2 1/8 hex head bolts with conical washers.

Most hardware kits from suppliers have different hardware.  Some include more studs than I have, and also include what are called "sleeve nuts".  Are these kits correct?  What is the purpose of the sleeve nuts, and if used, what locations are they used in?  Bottom line.... what bolts/studs/sleeve nuts/conical washers are used in what locations?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Sleeve nuts will be used at the deep areas on the manifold.

Gary AAR

Thanks for the reply.  How do the sleeve nuts work?  Do they thread on to studs, or do you still use a bolt that goes through the sleeve nut?  In the picture attached, the two shorter sleeve appear to have a solid hex head instead of a nut.  Where do these go, and how do they work?
Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

the heads had studs , the sleeve nuts thread onto the studs through the thick part of the manifold