Main Menu

exhaust Tip Question 71 Convertible ***UPDATE***

Started by Daveh, January 22, 2018, 08:12:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey Guys,

I have TTI headers and now I'm installing the 2.5" TTI exhaust out to a pair of stock exhaust tips out of the rear valance on my 71 Challenger.  My question is that the end of the exhaust is 2.5" and so it the end of the tip that it mates up to.  So they are just butting into each other.  I'm sure I'm not the first one to encounter this.  How do I get them to fit?  Do I use an exhaust band clamp?  Thanks

Something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076J5HSNJ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1NCI427G8RMSE&colid=33R5KQA92JRQ8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TVV4FT/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I9HX863DDMRTI&colid=33R5KQA92JRQ8&psc=1

Dave

Daveh

I have those and I don't think they will work on the tips.  Not certain though.  You have to go in pretty deep on those and the tip is about an inch or so. 

Crocha617

I think they are meant to straighten previously clamped pipes not really expand them much but it might be worth trying. Good luck.

1 Wild R/T

Go talk to your local muffler shop, They can expand the pipe for a slip fit in seconds...

Daveh

Hey Guys,

I went to the muffler shop to expand the tips.  They said they would crack but to expand the end of each tail pipe so the tip goes in the end instead of around the tail pipe.  My only concern with that is that may make the exhaust a little too short.  I may try some band clamps like I mentioned above.  The guy at the muffler shop said it would hold it just fine.

I called TTI and I can buy the tips from them no problem but that would be $450.00 OUCH!!!  I originally got the tips from Dave but never thought they wouldn't be the correct size.  This was all 6 years ago.  So I think I'm going to try the clamps and it that doesn't work out then I will have the ends of the exhaust pipes expanded. 

If you have any other thoughts please let me know.  Thanks

David

erik70rt

If your tips only have about 1" of pipe on them, it sounds like someone else already cut them.  I would get the tool and expand the tailpipe.  They are easy to use and it won't take long.

OR

Just go to Autozone and get a fitting with a 2.5" internal diameter to join the pipes and secure it with muffler clamps. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Rich G.

Why don't you mark where they belong and then weld them on.

RUNCHARGER

Get two pieces of 2 1/2 exhaust pipe about 4" long. Put a lengthwise slice in them. Then mount your tips to the exhaust pipes with the exhaust pipe on the outside of them. Secure with two muffler clamps, one over the tailpipe end and one over the exhaust tip end.
Sheldon