Main Menu

Exhaust Tips Question of Fitment

Started by 72and86, October 09, 2017, 09:24:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

I recently purchased a '73 'Cuda (340). The PO had these ugly tiny exhaust tips coming out the rear valance. I decided to replace with the correct tips which I bought on eBay. However when I removed the other tips, I noticed the the new tips won't line up.
Seems the exhaust tailpipe approaches the valance cutouts level and straight on.
This makes for the new (correct) tips not to line up or be clocked correctly. See pics.
Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?

Shane Kelley

You might be able to lower your tailpipes and get them to line up.  :thinking:  Unbolt the rear hangers and see. If it works you will need to come up with a different hanger of possibly modify yours.

Burdar

The only way a factory tip is going to fit is if the exhaust system is bent to factory specs.  If someone custom bent a dual exhaust system for the car, there is no guarantee a factory tip will fit.  Who knows what's on the car at this point.  From the factory, the car should have mufflers along side the gas tank...you do not.  The tail pipe doesn't look like it's in the best shape.  You might be better off replacing the tail pipes with ones that are bent correctly.

If the rest of the system looks like your tail pipe pictures, I'd be saving up for a new exhaust system.  Even if you buy the correct tail pipes, they may not bolt up to the rest of the system if it's all custom.

1 Wild R/T

Or you could just run it by a muffler shop & they could could cut off the last 18" of pipe & bend up a couple pipe that place the tips where they should be...

Down the road a new exhaust would likely be a good plan but since you have new tips ya might as well put them on the car & enjoy the bling...

72and86

Thanks everyone.
Anyone got a pic of how the 1973 340 exhaust layout should look?

Crash520

This is my magnaflow system fitted to suit the OEM TIPS, the tail pipes are low and to the outside of the balance cut out
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

72and86

Well... I found a work around. Instead of replacing pipes, mufflers and such, I found these worked just fine. Not stock, but I'll live with them till I need the pipes replaced.
Bought these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JST027G-PAIR-6-Wide-Corvette-Stainless-Steel-EXHAUST-TIPS-fit-2-1-2-pipe-2-5/181595529865?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Chryco Psycho

Cool , no rules say you have to have original tips & those work great  :bigthumb:
The other way would be to change the back part of a factory tip so it would accept a straight pipe into the rear

72and86

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 23, 2017, 07:51:41 AM
Cool , no rules say you have to have original tips & those work great  :bigthumb:
The other way would be to change the back part of a factory tip so it would accept a straight pipe into the rear

That's a good idea but unfortunately beyond my ability  :-[

Chryco Psycho

I would not pay $$ for a new set of tips & cut them up , but if you can get a set of decent used tips it would not be hard to remove the dogleg pipe & weld in a straight pipe to connect to