Main Menu

fast ratio steering and tti header advice

Started by cam440, January 22, 2018, 03:27:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cam440

hi everybody I need some help I was wondering if tti 1 7/8 headers will be ok with  a 4 speed and fast ratio steering in my 493 rb in my 70 cuda , I get all answers when I google this , tti said it should be ok but rather ask you guys and girls or are dougs ok I run dougs atm in my 340 stroker and they fit perfect  I love them ,sorry probley a old thread I had a quick look but couldn't see anything about fast ratio box

Chryco Psycho

I have seen the pitman arm hit the headers without the longer fast ratio arm in place , no way the longer pitamn will clear unless you shim the steering box angle, even then I doubt it would work 

303 Mopar

Many have tried it, despite TTI's site saying it will not work, and it will hit the headers.  Next best thing is to go with a Stage III box from Firm Feel.  Tightens up the steering but doesn't improve the ratio.

usraptor

I have 1 7/8" TTI headers on my '70 440 with a 4-speed and 16:1 manual steering box with the stock length idler arm and it hit the headers (just barely).  I shimmed the transmission mount and  ground off a very small portion of the idler arm where it rubbed the header. 

cam440

thank guys yeah mike from tti says yes and others said no lol , I got a set so see how I go I guess sounds like they will but what other headers can you use do dougs ,if you think dougs are better id just resell these I guess , hey us raptor sounds like your in same boat as me hows the ground clearance on the tti do they tuck up nice , any pics of your car

Lloyd Lind

I have a challenger with a 440 and hooker headers and a t/a power steering box and the longer imperial pitman arm and I dented one tube to get the headers to clear. I was all proud of my self until I noticed a few months later that the boot had melted off from the heat. Going straight it just sits there soaking up all the heat. I have had several cars with the t/a box and I really never could tell the difference and it's only fast one way if you leave the stock pitman arm.

usraptor

Here's some pics of my TTI headers with TTI 3" exhaust system.  I tried to take pics of several angles to give you a better idea of how close they are to the body and how low below the K-Frame they hang.   The car is on the lift right now so I don't have any showing ground clearance but I think you can get the idea.  Personally, I think they tuck up real nice and I don't see how they could tuck up any closer to the body.  Help these help.

cam440

They do tuck up nice hey I'm just going to run my 2 1/2 exhaust with them it's a new set up so why not cheers mate love that x pipe

Voodoo Child

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 23, 2018, 08:11:37 AM
I have seen the pitman arm hit the headers without the longer fast ratio arm in place , no way the longer pitamn will clear unless you shim the steering box angle, even then I doubt it would work
Exactly what happened to mine. The idler arm was just about rubbed thru the TTI header with the automatic when I bought the car. When I swapped to the TKO 600 and set my driveshaft angle it would not turn. So I had notch the header tube!

Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child

GoodysGotaCuda

You can try an inline steering quickener, I have one but may not ever implement it. This is a 1.5:1 ratio.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

MOPAR MITCH

Adding to this older thread, would anyone have pics of this set-up: SMALL BLOCK, TTi B/E 340 headers (stepped 1-5/8-1-3/4), Fast Ratio Pitman and Idler arms? 

I'm considering purchasing these TTi headers for a Spring 2020 installation (I've just installed a new SB stroker 410).. should have it running by Spring 2020, will break-in with cast iron manifolds and short-cut pipes.

I've contacted TTi about the fit as their web-site says these will Not fit for A-bodies, however, they admitted that they honestly didn't know about E-bodies with the longer pitman and idler arms.

Firm-Feel's web-site says ~ "need slight ding in one tube".

My old Hooker 1-3/4 Super Comp headers (35 years old!) have cleared the pitman arm but just a slight ding of clearance on two passenger tubes with the longer idler arm.   Also, I observed the raised beads of the Hookers (on the head flange-to-cyl head exhaust gasket) had never properly been sealing against the gasket... obviously that explains why there would progressively be black exhaust leakage on the heads and block.  Served well.. time to replace... thinking TTi are better for ground clearance and overall fit.... just concerend about the longer arms.   I'm also using the Milodon road race oil pan, also 727 trans. 

T/Anks ahead... pics most welcomed.

HP_Cuda

I wanted to go the TTI route but with the Fast Ratio arms the 1 7/8 headers from them did not work.

I went with: Hedman Elite Heavy-Duty Headers 78038 and at 1 3/4 they work fine and needed some slight mods but they work.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

MOPAR MITCH

HP Cuda -- T/Anks for your reply... is your engine a SB or BB?

You referenced 1-7/8 headers (TTi)... I'm not sure as to how they're different in any way/shape, etc vs TTi's stepped size 1-5/8--1-3/4.   I'm interested in the smaller 1-5/8--1-3/4 TTi headers (better bottom-end/mid-range vs the larger 1-7/8 design).