Main Menu

Getting rid of a drone in the exhaust....seeking input

Started by Mickm, May 07, 2018, 08:10:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mickm

Hi Guys,
I have installed 2 1/4" aluminized pipe back to two stainless Magnaflow mufflers then over the axle to Cuda tips.
We installed a "H" pipe behind the Gearvendors overdrive at about 14" in front of the mufflers.

It sounds good at idle with a deep throaty sound. Problem is everything sounds good until I hit 2000 rpm's, then the drone is so back you can't hear yourself think.

I called Magnaflow and was told to put a 4.5" round x 20" resonator in front of the "H' pipe, which will put it under the seats.

I want a nice low rumble sound but I want it to be as quite in the cab as possible.

Does this sound normal or should I change mufflers?  Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers!
Mickm

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:, I would try that first , if you decide to change mufflers I would Dynomax super turbos or Hooker Aero chambers

Mickm

1 Wild R/T and Chryco Psycho, thanks for the advice. I'll get a pair coming today and let you know how they work.

Cheers!
Mickm

Mickm

One question guys before I order, will putting them behind the axle get rid of the drone noise in the cab? Magnaflow told me to put them in front of the H-pipe.
Just wanted to ask.

Cheer!
Mickm

1 Wild R/T

Chrysler put resonators at the rear on Hemi's worked fine.... I've done resonators at the rear on a few cars, always worked... The drone comes out the back not through the pipe...

BIGSHCLUNK

I have the same issue with Miss NIKKI.... Love the rumble at the stop light... but at 70MPH the drone is a killer. I keep earplugs hangin' on the mirror!!   @blown motor  can verify!  :cooldance:

blown motor

You know @BIGSHCLUNK you can fix that if you take the Hemi out and put a 340 in.  :pokeeye:   :haha:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

BIGSHCLUNK

IRON MAN

x2 on the Aero Chamber mufflers. They produce a mellow rumble and no drone sound. Extremely well made but a little on the heavy side. Installed the 2-1/2" Aero Chamber mufflers on a 36 roadster with 302/headers/ AOD/9" four-link rearend/ out the back with 3" SS tips.

Crash520

I have the Magnaflow 2-1/2" system and added their 6"x6" race muffler either side of the gas tank, absolutely zero drone, sounds great, has a good rumble, barks a little on WOT but isn't at all obnoxious, love it
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

Mickm

Thanks for the input  guys, it's greatly appreciated. I'm about to order them now.

blown motor.....My drone is in a 340  ;)

Cheers!
Mickm

Chryco Psycho

Mickm

Chryco Psycho, While I think that is a great idea, I am older and all about cruzing in comfort and getting affordable gas mileage. So the Hemi doesn't fit in my plans.
But for the record, I do love the hemi!!!

Cheers!
Mickm

BIGSHCLUNK

Hell. ol' BIGS is 63....  put a HEMI in it  :banana:           :banana: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: