Main Menu

Header Clearance

Started by PatO, October 29, 2018, 08:01:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

PatO

:wrenching:  I installed the TTI full length headers on my 340 Challenger this weekend. Everything fit great and they went in with a minimum amount  of hassle. Actually no hassle really. I didn't even have to unbolt the drivers side engine mount.  :smile:

My question regards the oil filter clearance.  I have the NAPA gold filter, PN 1068. I think it is referred to as a "shorty" type of filter.  I can get it on OK. I'm just wondering about the 1/8" clearance by one of the header pipes.  Is this to close?  I was wondering about how hot the filter would get.  Is there an even shorter filter that would improve the situation?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

nsmall

Could you call your local NAPA Auto Parts store and ask them if there's any sort of a rating on their filter regarding heat?

Just an idea.

dave73

You can buy an oil filter offset adapter. Not sure how great they are but I know they exist.

Chryco Psycho

The factory used a 90* adapter on 340s , not too hard to find , then you can run the full size 51515 filter

gzig5

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 31, 2018, 09:19:43 AM
The factory used a 90* adapter on 340s , not too hard to find , then you can run the full size 51515 filter
I've got one on my 340 and there is a lot of room to the headers.   I think the mount orientation is adjustable and mine has the filter running parallel to the block and plenty of room to the full size filter. 
Looks like this.  Lots on ebay and the forum for sale boards.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5249624

PatO

I'm not finding much on the internet on some sort of minimum tolerance.  I can get the filter on easy enough, not problem there. Just don't want to cook something accidentally.

I sent an inquiry to NAPA just to see what they say, hopefully they'll respond in a day or so. I'll share what they have to say after I hear.

This morning TTI sent me pictures of a short Fram PF43 that they use, they also showed me a pic of the 90° adapter.  I'm kinda leaning towards the 90° adapter so I can use a larger filter.

Thanx for the reply's.

gzig5

I think if I was concerned about it, I would apply heat wrap to the filter.  I did that with the trans cooler lines that run between the headers and the oil pan with very little clearance.  I doubt you are going to cook it, but it will definitely get hotter than it needs to be with only 1/8" clearance.  I'd give the adapter a try, you should be able to estimate where it will end up.

Burdar

If the headers are ceramic coated on the inside and out, that will make a big difference on how hot the filter gets.

PatO

I did get the ceramic coating and the internal thermal barrier. I also have some heat wrap for the starter motor with some left over. I can always work with it till the first oil change and then cut the can open and see what the innards look like.

I'm starting to wonder if I "over think" some times on this stuff. Gotta learn to step back and see if it works before I mess with it some more.   :dunno:

RUNCHARGER

I don't think you're overthinking it at all. Putting heat into oil isn't a good thing and I also prefer a larger filter for less restriction.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

NO Question I would use the 90* adapter & a full size filter & less heat to fight