Main Menu

Inexpensive headers for LA small block

Started by erik70rt, January 27, 2020, 11:26:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Does anyone make a set of inexpensive headers for a small block that don't wrap around the steering gear or require modifications (denting them) to get them to fit?  Car is a floor shift auto with power steering.

I'm not looking to spend a ton on them since they will be on the car for a relatively short period of time.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

gzig5

I think your choices are a pair of shorties, or either TTI or Doug's D453. The Doug's aren't "cheap" but they are less expensive than TTI.  Autozone periodically has a 20% off coupon that works for them and gets them into the $450-$550 range depending on coating.  Shorties work ok but aren't max performance, which may or may not suit you.

erik70rt

Quote from: gzig5 on January 27, 2020, 11:52:37 AM
I think your choices are a pair of shorties, or either TTI or Doug's D453. The Doug's aren't "cheap" but they are less expensive than TTI.  Autozone periodically has a 20% off coupon that works for them and gets them into the $450-$550 range depending on coating.  Shorties work ok but aren't max performance, which may or may not suit you.

The full length Doug's don't wrap around and will fit power steering.  I was just wondering if there's a cheaper alternative.  I know Hookers, Summit, etc all wrap around the steering gear and bottom out on the pavement.  I see Hedmans has one that lists you need to modify the transmission linkage.

Cudakiller70

What about stock manifolds? :notsure: I'm not up to speed which ones are best and/or may flow better.

boydsdodge

"The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten"

jimynick

Jeez, it's been 3-4 years, but I bought a cheap set that fit on w/o denting and were 1 5/8" if I recall and they were about $169.00 and I think they were Blackhawks here in Canada. Hope that helps.
PS- they do hang a bit lower than stock exhaust, but I've yet to have them hit on anything after 4-5000 miles of driving.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

erik70rt

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on January 27, 2020, 02:46:33 PM
What about stock manifolds? :notsure: I'm not up to speed which ones are best and/or may flow better.

These are going on a slightly built 318.  In the long run I'm putting a T/A exhaust on it.  Until that time when I pull the car completely apart, I want to put on a better exhaust system than what it has - which is stock manifolds that have been mated to a dual system with 2" pipes that reduce in size to 1.75" pipes all the way back to some crappy sounding mufflers.  The cam, carb, intake heads etc have all been replaced/modified. 

Burdar

Cheap headers = under steering linkage and ground clearance issues.  Dougs are going to be the least expensive "above" the linkage headers you'll find.  If you were closer, I'd let you have a pair of 360 manifolds I have.  They have much bigger ports then the 318 manifolds.

gzig5

This is what I was trying to say. ^^^
Doug's are the least expensive currently made ones that don't go under the linkage.  Hooker and Hedmann may have had that option in the past but I don't think they are currently made and if the are, aren't "cheap".

Don't know why it is so hard to make that driver side set in the shape that doesn't go under the steering, but the low cost suppliers haven't seen fit to change their tooling.  Probably a supply/demand thing.

Chryco Psycho

HP2

I spent a couple years looking, but eventually came across a pair of Hooker 5115 for $150.

Time is always the best bet for saving money. If you need things right now, you'll pay a premium.

erik70rt

I picked up a set of Doug's in natural.  I prepped and painted them with ceramic paint.  Looks nice and was cost effective.

chargerdon

Im running a set of Patriot full headers on my 360 LA.    The one pipe does have to go below the steering cross link rod.   But its no big deal and you don't have to dimple them.   They are ceramic coated and run around $250 including the collector and gaskets.

One thing i dont like, is that the #5 and #7 plugs are difficult to take out or put in new, cannot use a socket wrench just plug wrench and large open end wrench. 

I do like the fact that i can remove and install the starter motor without taking them off.