Main Menu

installing 340 TTI headers

Started by tparker, April 20, 2021, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

How hard is it to install TTI headers with the engine already in the car?

I was planning on installing the headers while I put the motor in the challenger. The motor is about done, but the semi-local shop that carries TTI parts doesn't have the headers and wont for a month. So I can wait a month (already 2 -3 months behind where I wanted to be and loosingspring and summer time quickly, lol), or I can get a jump and put the motor in and install the headers later. I don't have a lift other than a simple set of ramps. Would you wait and install them with the engine, or get the engine and put the headers in later?

worthywads

You aren't really saving much time installing engine first, and then waiting for the headers.  It will be easier if you wait.

ledphoot

If you don't have a lift I'd wait.

tparker

To some degree you are right. So I take it that it's easer to do it as I put it in. I was hoping someone would say it isn't a big deal putting them in. LOL Maybe I can flip around some of the work that still needs to be done.

anlauto

Is the motor going in from the top ? Can you even install headers first doing it that way ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

worthywads

Headers go in first, not attached to the motor.

I had tti on the original 318, pulled from top with headers moved to the side, then dropped the 360 in then reattached headers.

If you put the motor in first you still have to disconnect a motor mount and jack the motor up to get the header in.

tparker

@anlauto Boy I hope so. I aint doing it from the bottom. I'd like to hear more about how your doing it and why.

@worthywads thanks. I wasn't sure if I could do it with them connected or not. I assumed they wouldn't be bolted on but wasn't sure. What your saying makes sense and is what I was thinking. I'm thinking I'm going to do them at the same time. It might be hard to wiggle them in from underneath using only car stands.

Thanks all

anlauto

Quote from: tparker on April 20, 2021, 09:32:22 PM
@anlauto Boy I hope so. I aint doing it from the bottom. I'd like to hear more about how your doing it and why.
Thanks all

I always put motors in from the bottom, so I was trying to envision how it would even fit from the top with the headers bolted on first, but what worthywads explained makes sense....I agree, not sure how easy it will be to wiggle them in after  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

73_Cuda_4_Me

I've installed the headers in my 73 340 4 or 5 times, all from the bottom with engine/tranny in place...

Remove center link, remove starter, remove oil filter. I remove Z bar for column shifter, too.

I use a good set of jack stands, and a floor jack to lift and put on jack stands, remove front wheels so you have some room, and have at her!

Haven't ever had to jack engine up at all.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

anlauto

tparker