Main Menu

Magnum Manifolds - New plan

Started by Cudajason, November 30, 2017, 06:37:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

My major winter project this year is to install magnum manifolds and a factory style exhaust on my cuda.  I am tired of scraping the crappy 25 year old headers every time I go out for a spin.

Some of you guys form the old board may recall I started this project two years ago, but decided to shelve it whiel I finished rebuilding the powere steering box.  It seemed easier to make sure the steering worked properly without having to hook up a new exhaust system.

I sourced the manifolds from the white truck pictured below.

These are the cleanest ones I could find at the time.

I have made some progress with this and will post more in a bit.

Anyone else installed magnum manifolds on a LA block?

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

PLUM72

I have a set of the 93 larger port manifolds sitting.  I have many of the same questions as you.  Having searched different forums, there isn't much consensus nor photos of such an install.  I hear the right side clears, but watch the oil filter angle adapter.  On the left side(drivers) some say the manifold hits the steering box.  The interference can be corrected by grinding a bit of material on the manifold.  With that said some say they don't fit at all, while others say they have been running them for years.  I don't know what to believe.

Right now I am not in a position to try this.  I have them sitting for down the road when I am able to try them.  If you're able to, please document your progress for the rest of the e-body community!
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

anlauto

Instead of doing the magnum exhaust manifolds, I think you should drop in a new Hellcat crate Hemi ! It's only a few dollars more and it will really spruce up the engine compartment  :alan2cents: :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

PLUM72

One more thing you may want to check out before looking at exhaust manifolds.  The comparison linked below between manifolds and headers.  Uses an LA small block with magnum manifolds and a couple different headers.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/comparing-headers-and-manifolds/

The Cliff Notes version:
Manifolds: 347tq / 292hp
Shorty Headers: 355tq / 316hp
Street Headers: 364tq / 325hp
Race Headers: 357tq / 323hp

-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

Cudajason

Ok, here is where I got to last time...

I did get both manifolds installed, there is no questions that they will bolt to the engine.  In fact the ports appear to be the same size as the ports on the head.

On the passenger side, the manifold required a little massaging on one of the bosses at the back as it the trans dipstick tube.  Not a big deal.

There do not appear to be any issues with the oil filter.  I am not running the 90 degree adapter.

On the driver side...not so good.  The manifold just touched the power steering box.  With standard steering I think it would fit no problem.

It is hard to see in the pics, but it touched just at the top of the box where the steering input comes in. 

This is where I stopped last time.

We talked about a few issues and fixes, but like I say, I had other priorities at the time. 

I have made some more progress and will post more.

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on November 30, 2017, 07:18:14 AM
Instead of doing the magnum exhaust manifolds, I think you should drop in a new Hellcat crate Hemi ! It's only a few dollars more and it will really spruce up the engine compartment  :alan2cents: :bigthumb:

Thanks @anlauto, very helpful as always... :thankyou: :drunk:

Seriously,if I did not have a kid to put through university in the next 2 years, I would be considering it!  Well no not really, but maybe...

Cudajason

Quote from: PLUM72 on November 30, 2017, 06:59:01 AM
I have a set of the 93 larger port manifolds sitting.  I have many of the same questions as you.  Having searched different forums, there isn't much consensus nor photos of such an install.  I hear the right side clears, but watch the oil filter angle adapter.  On the left side(drivers) some say the manifold hits the steering box.  The interference can be corrected by grinding a bit of material on the manifold.  With that said some say they don't fit at all, while others say they have been running them for years.  I don't know what to believe.

Right now I am not in a position to try this.  I have them sitting for down the road when I am able to try them.  If you're able to, please document your progress for the rest of the e-body community!

I had read that this was a bolt in deal, which is why I went down this road.

Quote from: PLUM72 on November 30, 2017, 07:33:28 AM
One more thing you may want to check out before looking at exhaust manifolds.  The comparison linked below between manifolds and headers.  Uses an LA small block with magnum manifolds and a couple different headers.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/comparing-headers-and-manifolds/

The Cliff Notes version:
Manifolds: 347tq / 292hp
Shorty Headers: 355tq / 316hp
Street Headers: 364tq / 325hp
Race Headers: 357tq / 323hp

I have seen similar stories.  To be honest, power is not my ultimate goal right now.  I want to quiet the car down and make it a nicer cruiser.  I figured this would be cheaper then factory hp manifolds.

Jason

anlauto

Quote from: Cudajason on November 30, 2017, 10:16:40 AM

Put a smile on your face didn't it ?  That's what I'm here for   :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on November 30, 2017, 10:51:25 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on November 30, 2017, 10:16:40 AM

Put a smile on your face didn't it ?  That's what I'm here for   :)

True,,it did.  And I needed it today.

Cudajason

Ok, so here is where I am now.

Not wanting to grind to much on the manifold, I thought I would try new engine mounts, as mine are factory pieces, although not original to the car.

When I pulled them off, the new mounts look to be slightly shorter then the old factory pieces, so I figured that may not work.

While I had the mount off, I tried a quick 1/8 shim under the mount and K frame (I got the idea from another post).

As you can see in the pics below, that seems to work and puts a little bit of space between the manifold and the steering box. 

My plan is to make a little bit thicker spacer for the new rubber mount and put them between the rubber isolator and the Engine bracket. 

I figure that will give me a little more space.

I will admit that I am somewhat concerned about how close that manifolds are to the steering box.  I am concerned about the heat to the steering box, but I guess it was not that much better with the headers, see the last pic.

Jason

Cudajason

just to be clear, I am kind of committed to this deal...

jimynick

Jeez Jas, that's a kind of "burn the boats" approach don't you think?  Let's look at the bright side, shall we, and call it "motivation", eh?  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on November 30, 2017, 06:46:10 PM
Jeez Jas, that's a kind of "burn the boats" approach don't you think?  Let's look at the bright side, shall we, and call it "motivation", eh?  :bigthumb:

yeah it sure is...and not typically my style, but I just did not want to screw with the tie rods...so I pulled out the saw!   :dunno:

Chryco Psycho

Love it  :ohyeah:
I bet you could smoothly trim a small amount from the surface of the manifold for clearance 

Brads70

Looks like you have a few options....
boregson steering box
shim motor mounts
wedge cut manifold
shim steering box