Main Menu

Muffler ID

Started by gzig5, April 16, 2020, 07:34:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Anyone care to take a swing at the origin of these mufflers? Supposedly they are aftermarket and came off a 73 Cuda.  These are the only pics I have at the moment.  Appears to be 2" or2 1/4" on one end and 2 1/2" on the other.  They don't have a mounting tab on the end like I've seen on Accurate mufflers. 

Tom Swope

The mufflers appear to be IPC replacement units. Midas also stocked these as the round discs on the case depict.
IPC no longer exist and went out of business as many other muffler manufacturers did.

gzig5

Just saw the reply, thank you Tom.  Do you have any idea as to the sound level or quality of something like these?  I wonder if they be similar to the stock type from Accurate Exhaust? 

@Tom Swope

Tom Swope

The replacement mufflers as pictured  from aftermarket  manufacturers back in the day generally had smaller internal tubes for quieter sound control. E-body Accurate LTD mufflers are of the hp design with larger internals and will have a deeper tone . There are some sound clips here on the web http://www.accurateltd.com/Video-Sound_ep_32.html