Main Menu

Resonators on 318?

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 20, 2019, 04:40:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I've tried finding the answer but keep getting conflicting information.

I'm curious if stock 318 engines on 71 Barracudas had resonators with a muffler or just muffler alone.

cudaize

I can tell you for sure that 71 318 Barracudas did not have a resonator.  The original front pipe went all the way from the manifolds to just in front of the rear axle where it met up with the over the axle pipe which was welded to the muffler.  I believe AP serviced this as a single piece up until the late 80's.  I put a new one on my Gran coupe and bought a spare as I figured it wouldn't be available much longer.  the other vendors serviced this in either 3 or 4 pieces.

Mike Afflerbach

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: cudaize on May 20, 2019, 05:00:23 PM
I can tell you for sure that 71 318 Barracudas did not have a resonator.  The original front pipe went all the way from the manifolds to just in front of the rear axle where it met up with the over the axle pipe which was welded to the muffler.  I believe AP serviced this as a single piece up until the late 80's.  I put a new one on my Gran coupe and bought a spare as I figured it wouldn't be available much longer.  the other vendors serviced this in either 3 or 4 pieces.

Mike Afflerbach

Ok, thanks! I saw a couple kits with resonators so I wasn't sure. The car I'm buying has no resonator but I noticed it seemed low right in front of the axle so it got me thinking that someone mixed and matched a kit when it was restored.