Main Menu

Resonators vs. Mufflers

Started by wldgtx, June 21, 2017, 06:56:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

wldgtx

I have a question regarding the exhaust on the e-bodies.  Did they all come with resonators and mufflers?

I understand the concept of both, but I guess I am wondering why e-bodies got them and not the b-body.  Was it due to the length of the pipe and an interest in reducing a certain frequency or tone?

1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

JS29

1 Wild R/T

All dual exhaust cars got resonators & mufflers....

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  T/A & AAR's would be the exception in that they run the exhaust out the side.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 21, 2017, 08:16:52 AM
:iagree:  T/A & AAR's would be the exception in that they run the exhaust out the side.

Well there is that...  But since I sold my T/A around 92 I tend to forget about them.... One car I wouldn't mind having back.... Talked to the man I sold it to a few weeks ago, still in the same yard where I dropped it off, nothings changed.....

Cuda Cody

Feel free to pass the yard address on to me and I will go "check" on it for you.  ;)    I promise not to offer him anything more then what he will sell it for.   8)

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 21, 2017, 08:31:30 AM
Talked to the man I sold it to a few weeks ago, still in the same yard where I dropped it off, nothings changed.....

6bblgt

single exhaust e-bodies muffler next to gas tank (B, C, G & L engines)
dual exhaust e-bodies mufflers next to gas tank & resonators under rear seat (H, N, U, V & R engines)
dual exhaust e-bodies mufflers under rear seat (J engine) "TRANS AM"

single exhaust b-bodies muffler under rear seat (C, G & L engines)
dual exhaust b-bodies mufflers under rear seat (N, U* & V* engines)
dual exhaust b-bodies mufflers under rear seat & resonators next to gas tank (R engine) "HEMI"
* dual exhaust b-bodies mufflers under rear seat & resonators next to gas tank (U & V engines) w/N97 & N42 combination

usraptor

When I purchased my original 383 '70 'Cuda I thought the exhaust was too quiet so I took it to a muffler shop and had them remove the mufflers (by the gas tank) and replace them with straight exhaust pipe.  I was surprised at how quiet it still was with just the resonators.   :dunno:

moparmadman69

Quote from: wldgtx on June 21, 2017, 06:56:16 AM
I have a question regarding the exhaust on the e-bodies.  Did they all come with resonators and mufflers?

I understand the concept of both, but I guess I am wondering why e-bodies got them and not the b-body.  Was it due to the length of the pipe and an interest in reducing a certain frequency or tone?

@wldgtx   E-bodies had resonators due to the fact that they didn't have as much room under the seats as the other Mopars.  All E-bodies came with resonators and mufflers except for the TA/AAR. They could run a longer muffler since it didn't have a pipe sticking out the back of it and they could get it closer to the axle. Since they couldn't run a full size muffler they opted to put the mufflers back by the gas tank. As is common with Chrysler they had to try and make cars quiet enough to be legal in 50 states. California even required the cars to have turndowns instead of tips so that they would be even quieter. Another reason is because resonators help deaden resonance as they are an additional expansion point in the exhaust. Without the resonators you could get a droning inside the cars at times.

There are some B-bodies that came with resonators such as 68-71 Hemi Cars and 71-74 440 cars with the noise reduction package. Only A-bodies that had them were the 65-67 273 Hi-po cars. They had a resonated tip assembly.

RUNCHARGER

I think they were all pulled off by about 1976 or so. Not many had the resonators by then.
Sheldon

chargerdon

ive got a pair of Flowmaster 40's back by the tank...   too loud and it booms...   anybody recommend a resonator to add ?   dont want to kill performance

moparmadman69

My advice is start by getting rid of the Flowmasters. Try replacing them with a muffler that doesn't resonate so bad. Then if you still have the problem then I would add resonators. Try a set of Accurate Magnum mufflers if you are running stock size exhaust. If you are running larger exhaust than factory then get some Magnaflows. Better performance with less noise. Still might need those resonators but with the Flowmasters even with the resonators it will still probably be too loud. Just my 2 cents
Quote from: chargerdon on October 28, 2017, 01:08:48 PM
ive got a pair of Flowmaster 40's back by the tank...   too loud and it booms...   anybody recommend a resonator to add ?   dont want to kill performance

Deadeye74

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 21, 2017, 09:43:06 AM
single exhaust e-bodies muffler next to gas tank (B, C, G & L engines)
dual exhaust e-bodies mufflers next to gas tank & resonators under rear seat (H, N, U, V & R engines)
dual exhaust e-bodies mufflers under rear seat (J engine) "TRANS AM"

single exhaust b-bodies muffler under rear seat (C, G & L engines)
dual exhaust b-bodies mufflers under rear seat (N, U* & V* engines)
dual exhaust b-bodies mufflers under rear seat & resonators next to gas tank (R engine) "HEMI"
* dual exhaust b-bodies mufflers under rear seat & resonators next to gas tank (U & V engines) w/N97 & N42 combination

@6bblgt Hey dont forget our poor ole 360's...both my L engine '74 Cuda's came stock with dual resonators under the seat and mufflers next to tank. Shows it that way in the '74 Plymouth repair manual as well. No big deal but since you a helpful list there.

"dual exhaust e-bodies mufflers next to gas tank & resonators under rear seat (H, L, N, U, V & R engines)"...right??

6bblgt

was considering 1970 when I provided the list

now if it was all inclusive - some of the other details would be wrong

but for '74 .....

dual exhaust e-bodies mufflers next to gas tank & resonators under rear seat (L engine) 360 4bbl 1974 ONLY