Main Menu

Sam Posey exhaust

Started by LRS23S, August 01, 2019, 10:26:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

LRS23S

I am starting down the trail on buiding a Sam Posey clone. I have been able to locate most of the pictures I will need for this build. I am having a hellofa time finding any photos of the undercarriage of the car. 76 or 77. I was wondering if any of you can help me out. any info on this would be great

thanks all
1970 challenger T/A FC7 #matching

Arctoad

Sorry can't help but I can hardly wait to see the build.  :burnout:

floorit426

I've seen the car a few times. I have never seen the underside, but I seem to recall that the floor pans appear to have boxed areas where the exhaust was channeled up, into the inside of the car. If I go to the historical, races, at Laguna Seca, in a couple of weeks, I'll see what I can learn.

LRS23S

Quote from: floorit426 on August 01, 2019, 02:03:17 PM
I've seen the car a few times. I have never seen the underside, but I seem to recall that the floor pans appear to have boxed areas where the exhaust was channeled up, into the inside of the car. If I go to the historical, races, at Laguna Seca, in a couple of weeks, I'll see what I can learn.

I would be in debt to you. Any additional photos would be amazing. If you have a second if you show up see if you can ask if the rear passenger quarter was factory sent without the gas take port. I am very curious to know if it was patched.

HP2

Go look through the folder of oval track and road racers on this site. There are some decent picture on the first page:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/pictures-of-nascar-trans-am-road-racing-mopars/891/;topicseen

The original Posey versions appear to have the exhaust going straight through the door sill with two tubes exiting on the passenger side.  The current restored versions seems to have them recessed into the sill, but still with both tubes exiting on the passenger side.

Brads70

this is all I have.....

LRS23S

Quote from: Brads70 on August 01, 2019, 07:16:52 PM
this is all I have.....

Thanks for the post its more than i had yesterday.

Brads70

Glad to help, if you click on the picture it gets bigger ( just in case you didn't know...?)

70RTSE383

I've sat in # 77 twice with the engine running. There is most definitely a channel tuning from exit of left side header to pair up with pass side. I thought it very exotic for the time. Interior was light gloss gray engine revel VERY quickly. If your going to see one then you should be able to get most info you need. Car uses straight splined anti sway bar. Gloss black roof under hood aprons appear to have seen some trauma then been pounded back into shape then hammered and bondowed back into shape. If I can find any worthwhile pics tomorrow I will post. Sounds like a great project.😎
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

LRS23S

70RTSE383 Thanks for the intel!!!

bc3j

I know the post is a month old, but I found these pictures of the #76 car from the inaugural 24 hr classic road race from November, 2014 at Daytona. I didn't take a lot of detailed pictures of the car. I can't remember, but I think the car was owned by a fellow or group  from Columbus, Ohio. He was very nice and showed me a complete binder of the restoration. Maybe if he could be located, you might be able to view it. Can't load more than one photo at time. Don't know if this will be of any help. The transport truck is in the background. 

bc3j

bc3j

bc3j

4 of 4. Car was not entered in the race. On static display.

LRS23S

Thanks again for the photos everyone. I have not forgot about you guys!!! I am out of the country until June2020 for Uncle Sam......to be continued