Main Menu

Identifying 3” exhaust kit with head pipes?

Started by Montclaire, March 23, 2021, 06:15:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Montclaire

My Barracuda has 3" exhaust from the manifolds back.  The previous owner added cut-outs which are rusting at the weld and are too low.  I'd like to swap out the head pipes to fix that issue.  PO says he bought everything as a kit within the last 5 years or so and couldn't remember where it was from, "maybe" Summit. 

I'm thinking it's a TTI setup - it has an h-pipe and is aluminized. Mufflers look like super turbos or knockoffs, they are not flowmasters.  I know that Summit sells/sold a 3" kit but I think it was header-back only. Any tell-tales that I should look for?  It has those nice band clamps at the joints, not the usual saddle clamps, although those could have been bought separately. 

Plan B would be to find someone locally who can bend up copies in 3" aluminized, but if I can just order a replacement set of head pipes I think they'll have a much better shot at fitting up without issue.  There isn't much room to play around with a 3" tube on these cars.

Thanks

Cudajason

3 inch pipes off of manifolds....that sounds unique.

Do you have pics??

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

Montclaire

Quote from: Cudajason on March 23, 2021, 07:29:04 AM
3 inch pipes off of manifolds....that sounds unique.

Do you have pics??

Jason

I'll get some tonight. Was going to put it up on stands anyway.

Montclaire

Didn't have enough time to get it on the stands but I think you can see what's there.  Headpipe all the way to the manifold, I don't see any type of universal flange. 

Montclaire

H-pipe with slip joint in center

Montclaire

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

100% for sure it's TTI hangers, I don't think any other company makes them so huge ... overkill :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Montclaire

Well that's good news, they sell the head pipes separately. Thanks

TGGodfrey

Build your own.  If you cant weld, buy the materials and pay someone else to do it.  Kits fit like kits......... I have used them before but it was a waste of time with all the correcting i had to do to make them fit like a custom exhaust should fit.   H pipes and X pipes take about 20 minutes to setup and another hour to weld up.  3 inch are really only beneficial off of headers or extrude honed manifolds.  On a street car i always recommend a header to 3" X pipe.  After the X i build my own transitions to take it down to a 2.5" tail pipe.  Cutouts are them added to the X pipe.

Terry

Montclaire

It's what the car came to me with, I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel. There's no reason to scrap the whole system for two head pipes.  The 3" is probably overkill but otherwise is in decent condition so I'll work with what I have.