Main Menu

2.5 vs 3” exhaust with x-pipe for 500HP 416 sb stroker

Started by ledphoot, April 27, 2018, 09:09:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

Need to order pipes for the Cuda. 500hp 416 small block stroker with TTI headers.

2.5" x-pipe may be a little restrictive but probably not bad.

3" probably a little overkill.

Which would you run?

RUNCHARGER

I'd probably run the 2.5. Quieter, more room around suspension components, more ground clearance. I have put many miles on 426 inch 500HP engines with 2.5, you probably will compromise a slight amount of power but not that much I don't think.
Sheldon

ledphoot

Yeah I am thinking it may cost me 5-10HP but there should be more than enough on tap to keep me happy. :)

Chryco Psycho

I agree 2.5" it won't be restrictive , it will keep the velocity up / better scavenging

Brads70

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 27, 2018, 11:24:33 PM
I agree 2.5" it won't be restrictive , it will keep the velocity up / better scavenging

:iagree:  More room and less/no drone

ToxicWolf

I went through the same decision process with my 572 hemi. I decided on the 2.5 inch h-pipe.  I only went with the h-pipe because several people I trust said they preferred the sound of the h-pipe over the sound of the x-pipe.  They did say there tended to be slightly more horsepower with the x-pipe though.  I'm very happy with the results.  It handles the almost 700 horsepower and 681 foot-pounds of torque beautifully.  :wave:

kape1

2,5 x-pipe with TTI heders on my 520hp sb 422 stroker since 2013, Replaced the carb with Fitech Meanstreet last year and i'm super happy with this setup :)

303 Mopar

Quote from: ToxicWolf on April 28, 2018, 12:54:03 AM
I went through the same decision process with my 572 hemi. I decided on the 2.5 inch h-pipe.  I only went with the h-pipe because several people I trust said they preferred the sound of the h-pipe over the sound of the x-pipe.  They did say there tended to be slightly more horsepower with the x-pipe though.  I'm very happy with the results.  It handles the almost 700 horsepower and 681 foot-pounds of torque beautifully.  :wave:

:iagree: 2.5" H-pipe is my choice.  I had x-pipe on my Cuda and the tone of the exhaust was higher, more like a new car.  Switched to H-pipe (also running h-pipe on my bb Charger) and it is a lower tone like a muscle car should sound.

cudaragtop

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

autoxcuda

I run TTI step header and 2 1/2" exhaust w/x-pipe with my 422 stroker. 450+ hp.

Comp 274-S, ported Edelbrocks, M1 ported intake, BG Silver Claw carb.

My exhaust has a drone. But with an A-body there no room for longer mufflers or resonator. With an Ebody they came stock with resonators, so there's room.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

ToxicWolf

TTI was good to work with.  The bend on my passenger side pipe that went over the rear axle (see picture) was off about 2.5 inches.  I contacted them and they sent me a new one.  Problem solved.  Yes, I put cutouts in it too.

gzig5

Quote from: autoxcuda on April 28, 2018, 09:26:36 AM

My exhaust has a drone. But with an A-body there no room for longer mufflers or resonator. With an Ebody they came stock with resonators, so there's room.

Take a look at the Vibrant 1792/1793 resonators.  It it's a good looking bottle design and I found the quality and performance to be great.  The 1792 is only 12" long and about 4" diameter so it doesn't take up much space.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E3VHVO/ref=psdc_15713921_t1_B0018085EE

autoxcuda

Quote from: gzig5 on April 29, 2018, 03:14:40 PM
Quote from: autoxcuda on April 28, 2018, 09:26:36 AM

Take a look at the Vibrant 1792/1793 resonators.  It it's a good looking bottle design and I found the quality and performance to be great.  The 1792 is only 12" long and about 4" diameter so it doesn't take up much space.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E3VHVO/ref=psdc_15713921_t1_B0018085EE

Those are nice 👍

But I've only got about 1/2" space on each side of my 2 1/2 diameter tail pipes. One side is leaf spring other side is gas tank. A-body originally only had 2" tail pipe. Maybe even 1 7/8".
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

gzig5

No room further forward I guess?  My M5 has the stock resonators in front of the diff and mufflers int the back.  I think the resonators on the e-body were under the rear seat, probably where your mufflers are?  Maybe forward of that?  Just spitballing..