Main Menu

Stock Manifolds or go with headers?

Started by noreastfish, December 22, 2018, 11:01:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Neither are trouble free , manifolds add under hood heat & can cause spark plug access issues also , I always port the heck out of manifolds for max flow & have them ceramic coated for less heat .
Never use gaskets between a manifold & cylinder head as it will actually cause leaks , I just use a thin layer of Ultra Copper & bolt them directly on the heads

303 Mopar

7212Mopar

I prefer the exhaust tone with headers. Just get the coated version inside and out if heat is a problem.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Topcat

Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 24, 2018, 07:44:50 AM
This is timely - Skip to 11:45

Great comparison shared Thanks!

20 HP gain, cooked plastic, hot foot, and rubber parts?

No Thanks! 

larry4406

Quote from: Topcat on December 27, 2018, 09:01:44 PM
Quote from: 303 Mopar on December 24, 2018, 07:44:50 AM
This is timely - Skip to 11:45

Great comparison shared Thanks!

20 HP gain, cooked plastic, hot foot, and rubber parts?

No Thanks!

My thoughts exactly!  The ills are not worth the gain.  I hated my headers on my 440 in my cuda back in the day, but that was all I had.

RUNCHARGER

I like headers on 400 and up inch engines. I don't like the look of headers but I can't see running a modded, stroked big block with stock exhaust. Stock 383 or 340 no problem.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

The Hemi is a different story the header fit s lot better as the ports are point almost straight down , the headers are hardly even viable & the flow has to help the awesome Hemi breathing although even the factory manifolds are well designed

RUNCHARGER

That's true: My 472 Hemi worked quite nicely with the stock manifolds.
Sheldon

kawahonda

I wonder if anyone offers a service that can clean up/ceramic coat and hone factory manifolds to at least get them somewhat in the ballpark of headers.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

76orangewagon

Quote from: kawahonda on December 29, 2018, 11:55:44 AM
I wonder if anyone offers a service that can clean up/ceramic coat and hone factory manifolds to at least get them somewhat in the ballpark of headers.

Extrude Hone can open up stock manifolds and improve flow.

kawahonda

I did some reading on this. Found a forum where someone did a before and after dyno.

The netted HP for a 340 was 3-5 horsepower over stock.

A pretty silly thing to do for $675-800. It's really only for people that do F.A.S.T and for squeezing out every last ounce of power, even if it's not economical.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Chryco Psycho

I f you have a die grinder & time to spare you can make improvements even just port matching the head & flange

Cudakiller70

Quote from: kawahonda on December 29, 2018, 03:09:06 PM
I did some reading on this. Found a forum where someone did a before and after dyno.

The netted HP for a 340 was 3-5 horsepower over stock.

A pretty silly thing to do for $675-800. It's really only for people that do F.A.S.T and for squeezing out every last ounce of power, even if it's not economical.
Wow! That's  all. I get it if your racing.
How's are things in  Idaho?

Mopar5