Main Menu

The most quiet mufflers available

Started by Ornamental, July 04, 2017, 03:29:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ornamental

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, but hopefully they're not here to stay.
So yesterday I went to my local Road Station, similiar to the American DMV orific... ...office to get the Challenger approved for small licence plates and also get the hood scoop approved.

My local Road Station is known for being a bit nazi, and I were about to find out why.
Long story short, they approved the hood scoop and ok'ed small license plates, but among other things they didn't like, the car was too loud...
It has some kind of universal no-brand mufflers on it, so now I'm looking for the quietest mufflers available, or at least mufflers that will make the exhaust significantly more quiet.

Any suggestions?

usraptor

Too Loud!   :looney:  Are you kidding me?  Doesn't this idiot know that it's a Muscle Car and is supposed to be loud!   :verymad:  Anyway, to answer yor question I don't know which would be the quietest but if you went on RockAuto.com I'm sure they would have several choices that would work.   Also Year One or Classic Industries would probably have a modern variation of the stock mufflers for sale.

Burdar

All dual exhaust cars received resonators and mufflers.(except T/A and AAR)The resonators are located under the back seat area, in front of the rear axle. The mufflers are located at the back on either side of the gas tank. This is how the factory did it.

Most aftermarket exhaust systems don't use any resonators. They put the mufflers under the back seat in front of the rear axle.(where the factory put the resonators) They don't use anything at the back by the gas tank.

If your existing mufflers are under the back seat, you can install another set of mufflers at the back. That would quiet the car down considerably.

Brads70

I'm having a similar issue. I have yet to install them so I'm not much help but I bought these and a cut out valance and tips....
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/vpe-1141/overview/

RUNCHARGER

Can't help, I always make them louder.
Sheldon

HP2

Quote from: Burdar on July 04, 2017, 04:47:57 PM
If your existing mufflers are under the back seat, you can install another set of mufflers at the back. That would quiet the car down considerably.

This may be the easiest route as the quieter mufflers tend to also be large and may not fit under the rear seat area. You could use a larger straight through design near the tan area to take the rasp/drone off the exhaust.

moparmadman69

Quote from: Ornamental on July 04, 2017, 03:29:20 AM
Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, but hopefully they're not here to stay.
So yesterday I went to my local Road Station, similiar to the American DMV orific... ...office to get the Challenger approved for small licence plates and also get the hood scoop approved.

My local Road Station is known for being a bit nazi, and I were about to find out why.
Long story short, they approved the hood scoop and ok'ed small license plates, but among other things they didn't like, the car was too loud...
It has some kind of universal no-brand mufflers on it, so now I'm looking for the quietest mufflers available, or at least mufflers that will make the exhaust significantly more quiet.

Any suggestions?

How do you have your exhaust setup? Are you running the mufflers under the rear seat instead of by the gas tank? What is the design, length and size of the mufflers? Headers or manifolds?

Let me know and I can probably help you out.

Ornamental

Quote from: usraptor on July 04, 2017, 08:32:23 AM
Too Loud!   :looney:  Are you kidding me?  Doesn't this idiot know that it's a Muscle Car and is supposed to be loud!   :verymad:  Anyway, to answer yor question I don't know which would be the quietest but if you went on RockAuto.com I'm sure they would have several choices that would work.   Also Year One or Classic Industries would probably have a modern variation of the stock mufflers for sale.
The audio aesthetically challenged gentleman employed by the state made a point of telling me that I lived downtown where there are many neighbours.

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 04, 2017, 07:03:22 PM
Can't help, I always make them louder.
I might seek your advice later, when I'm finished with this episode.  ;)

Quote from: Brads70 on July 04, 2017, 06:56:57 PM
I'm having a similar issue. I have yet to install them so I'm not much help but I bought these and a cut out valance and tips....
Cut outs are definitely a part of the plan, but later, when I don't have to deal with the very special gentlemen at my local road station anymore.
Those resonators got some good reviews, thank you for mentioning them!

Quote from: moparmadman69 on July 05, 2017, 08:16:36 AM
How do you have your exhaust setup? Are you running the mufflers under the rear seat instead of by the gas tank? What is the design, length and size of the mufflers? Headers or manifolds?

Let me know and I can probably help you out.

Thank you!

I'm running headers, H-pipe, about 10" long 5" x 7"  mufflers/resonators under the back seat, and about 12" long 5" x 7" mufflers at the back.
Unfortunately, I don't know the design, they were already installed when I bought the car.

At least the Road Station muppetry forces me to have these things replaced sooner than later.

moparmadman69

Is it 3" exhaust? It looks like it.

moparmadman69

This is our factory style Magnum setup. You could adapt it to your current head pipes. These will be a little bit louder than stock but probably quieter that what you have now. Plus you will get rid of those up turned tip mufflers.

http://www.accurateltd.com/E-Body-Magnum-Kit_p_371.html

Here is a link to a video with this system on a 440 six pack:

If you think that will be too loud you can just go to the stock mufflers and it will definitely but quieter. Sound more like this:

Hope this helps you solve your problem. We also have the correct style stainless tips for your car too.  :yes:

Ornamental

@moparmadman69
Thank you! I like your Magnum setup, but unfortunately I have to kiss ass at the Road Station, so it looks like I'll have to go stock unless something even quieter comes up.

Chryco Psycho

usraptor

Neither one of those engines sound exactly stock.   :)  :stayinlane:

Marc70challenger

Are they doing subjective inspections now ?

Brads70

Quote from: Marc70challenger on July 08, 2017, 06:31:13 PM

Are they doing subjective inspections now ?
So I have heard, burns  me that it's not a decibel requirement, it's up the the officers discretion. Like what the heck is that? Different every time you get pulled over.  :verymad: