Main Menu

TTI Exhaust

Started by challengermaniac, January 30, 2021, 04:22:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

challengermaniac

Hi everyone,

RE: My 70 Challenger Vert currently has a 318 and 904 with stock exhaust manifolds and future plans to install a 340 and 727.  A new RT rear valance with cutouts has been installed. 

Multi questions here......

1.  Assuming 3" Exhaust is better, why is there a 2.5" Exhaust option?

2.  Will the TTI Exhaust mate up to my current 318 as well as my future 340 in regard to:

a.  Will the 90 Degree Oil Filter Adapter be needed on the 318 as it will on the 340?
     b.  Other than the TTI Exhaust parts, down pipes and chrome exhaust tips, what other parts will be needed to complete the   install?
     c.   What should be considered regarding a future potential Gear Venders Overdrive install in relation to the TTI Exhaust?

1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

anlauto

Do they make a 3" exhaust that mates to stock 318 manifolds ?  :thinking:

I have never installed 3" exhaust, but lots of their 2.5" systems.
For Challenger I prefer PG Classic's stainless Challenger tips over TTI's because they are WAY cheaper. :alan2cents:
For Cuda, you can't beat the TTI welded on Cuda tip. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

A 440 is on the fence for going from 2.5 up to 3 inch IMO depending on how close it is to stock. For a smallblock I would only install a 2.5 exhaust even if the small block was pretty radical. The 2.5 just fits with more room everywhere and more ground clearance (something that E-bodies have little of).
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

I have a full 3" TTI system and wish I had just gone to 2.5". It will package a bit better and the performance difference is non-existent at my power level [~425hp]
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

Simply put the engine is an air pump.
SO they offer different size exhaust to handle different amounts of air flow . The myth is backpressure helps flow which is not true , what is true is velocity helps flow , if the pipe is too big the flow loses speed / velocity , so it is a balance , most small blocks will do best with 2.25 or 2.5 " exhaust , Street big blocks usually will do well on 2.5" but if you get into strokers & higher RPM 3" will benefit .
If you use the same [preferably the 340 manifolds on both engines then there would be no difference in the exhaust , but the head pipe will vary with every different manifold casting .
I would tell TTI when you order you plan to do a Gear Vendor OD later & buy 1 system now that will work , if there is a cross over pipe or an X pipe it usually needs to be further back the clear the GV OD

Skdmark

Re: question 2B from OP
If installing a dual exhaust on an original single exhaust car you would need to add the heat shield and hangers on the driver's side.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

7212Mopar

You will need a hanger below the backseat and at the trunk floor DS going from single to dual.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Scooter

Just installed TTI shorty's and complete 2.5" exhaust on my 360LA/727 last year. Are you thinking shorty's or longtubes?

I picked up an oil filter adapter prior to installation, turns out with the shorty's I did not need it.

GL

ledphoot

I put 3" exhaust on the Challenger and it's pretty YUGE pipe. it doesn't tuck as nicely as the 2" - 2.5".. I purchased 2.5" exhaust for the Cuda. If I recall 2.5" dual exhaust with decent headers / mufflers is good to go for up to 500 horsepower before it starts becoming restrictive.

Montclaire

I think that 3" is overkill. My 74 Barracuda has the 3" TTI system and it's comically huge. You should be fine with 2.5" pipes. Check out Waldron also.

blown motor

Quote from: challengermaniac on January 30, 2021, 04:22:46 PM
Hi everyone,

RE: My 70 Challenger Vert currently has a 318 and 904 with stock exhaust manifolds and future plans to install a 340 and 727.  A new RT rear valance with cutouts has been installed. 

Multi questions here......

1.  Assuming 3" Exhaust is better, why is there a 2.5" Exhaust option?

2.  Will the TTI Exhaust mate up to my current 318 as well as my future 340 in regard to:

a.  Will the 90 Degree Oil Filter Adapter be needed on the 318 as it will on the 340?
     b.  Other than the TTI Exhaust parts, down pipes and chrome exhaust tips, what other parts will be needed to complete the   install?
     c.   What should be considered regarding a future potential Gear Venders Overdrive install in relation to the TTI Exhaust?

I have a well built 340 ahead of a 904. I had the tranny rebuilt and we put a Transgo shift kit in it. That was 8 years ago and it's been flawless. I don't see any need to buy a 727.

2a - I have 2.5" TTI headers and don't use an adapter. I use a Napa Gold 1085 filter. No adapter means one less place for it to leak.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel