Main Menu

X or H pipe

Started by 303 Mopar, March 13, 2017, 12:07:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

I'm upgrading my exhaust to 3" and am curious as to who is running an H or X pipe and why?  I have a 392 Hemi, 400 tq - 365 hp at the wheels.

I've heard arguments on both sides mostly around a higher pitch with an X pipe however your get more torque since you are forcing the flow through vs the torque gain is negligible so just focus on sound and fitment. Open to your opinions, experience, facts, etc.

Chryco Psycho

X pipe joins the exhaust so the sound is different ,less side to side rumble , but generally is proven to be more efficient .
H pipe will balance pressure but largely keeps the exhaust separate .
with EFI no cylinder will misfire so it will sound smooth either way so I would go for the X 

HP_Cuda

I recently went X pipe after doing a bunch of research. It looks like you can gain top end by using X-pipe while H-pipe may gain your more torque. So it's really up to you what you want out of your power setup.

So far I'm loving my setup and it sounds great!
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Spikedog08

I think there is an issue with the xpipe and working on a 4 speed.  I have an H in my 4 speed and X in my Auto . . . I know I can pull the 4 speed without removing the exhaust but would have issues with the auto if I needed to pull it . . . Food for thought. 

:bigthumb:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Burdar

No real world experience with either but you asked for opinions so...

I'm going with an X-pipe.  I think it has a more "tuned" sound then an H.  I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference in HP/torque over the two so it's all about sound for me.  The bigger question I'll be faced with is what mufflers to use.  So many choices + different engine combos will sound better with one verses another.  I suspect that before it's all said and done, I'll be making one or two muffler changes to find the sound I want.

usraptor

Quote from: Spikedog08 on March 13, 2017, 01:29:56 PM
I think there is an issue with the xpipe and working on a 4 speed. 

:bigthumb:

Depends on the year.  1970 is okay with a 4-speed but not sure after that.  If you check the TTI web-site they list what years require you to change the reverse rod for clearance.  That being said, that's with a 440 and stock exhuast or TTI headers.  Not sure how having a modern engine/exhaust will effect that. 

I'm running the 1 7/8" TTI headers on my 1970 440, and will add the TTI 3" exhaust with X pipe and Dynomax Ultra Flow mufflers as soon as I save up the coin.

HP_Cuda

Here you can see it's no issue on a 70.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

303 Mopar

Given mine is a "resto-mod" or whatever you want to call it, I'm swapping out the 2" AAR trumpets for the Dr. Gas Boom Tubes.  I'm adding subframe connectors and want to keep the side exhaust, so ground clearance is a big factor and the boom tubes are only about 1 1/2" thick and have a bend built in so they tuck up against the floor pan and then angle down to clear the subframes. Dr. Gas recommended an X-pipe for performance but I like the rumble and deeper tone of an H-pipe, as @Chryco Psycho mentioned with the modern engine not sure that is going to be possible anyway.

http://www.drgas.com/Boom-Tube-Muffler_p_32.html

303 Mopar

Quote from: Brads70 on March 14, 2017, 10:01:14 AM
Just another option in case you haven't seen these before..

Thanks @Brads70, I looked at these and I still need to increase the size of the side exhaust as the trumpet is only 2".  I went with the boom tube since it is a muffler and side exhaust all in one and is 3".  The 2016 392 Challengers have 2 3/4" exhaust and I thought 3" would be best in case I add a supercharger or hop up the heads/cam in the future.   :banana:

ToxicWolf

I went with the H-Pipe because I like the sound better.  If you are looking for power, go with the X-Pipe.  :thinking:

Spikedog08

Quote from: ToxicWolf on March 14, 2017, 11:39:49 AM
I went with the H-Pipe because I like the sound better.  If you are looking for power, go with the X-Pipe.  :thinking:

I would be really surprised that the X pipe gains very much power . . .   :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Burdar

At what point do you actually FEEL an increase in power?  5-10hp increase in a 100hp engine will be a big improvement.  That same hp increase in a 400hp engine...not so much.  Sound plays a lot into any "perceived" hp increase.  It sounds louder/better so we think it feels faster. IMO, go with what you think sounds better.  :alan2cents:

blown motor

Quote from: ToxicWolf on March 14, 2017, 11:39:49 AM

Now wait a minute Jim! You put in a 572 Hemi and then you hold it back by not putting in an X pipe. I'm starting to wonder about you.   :rofl:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

dave73

I have a tti x pipe on my 440 4spd. Ground clearance was a concern for me but I wanted a 3" exhaust. It tucks up nice and tight, fitment is great and adjustable. They sold adapters to bolt right up to my hedman headers. With dynomax superturbos it has a smooth rumble to it. Was an all around win in my eyes...