Main Menu

Police challenger

Started by Mixup7071, March 20, 2018, 11:40:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mixup7071

I had my challenger at a Kentucky state park, unloading the car an older man walked up and started telling me he was a retired police officer, don't remember what police force, back in the 70s he told me their department had a challenger that they used to travel expressway 75 from Ohio to Florida looking for people moving drugs, it had a 440 they took out the gas tank cut the trunk floor out and replaced it with a fuel cell that took up all the trunk space plus where the gas tank was, he said they could travel the entire expressway without stopping for gas, as far as he can remember no one every got away. New

Cuda Cody

Neat story!!!  How cool would that have been to see a Challenger cop car.   :twothumbsup:  Unless you are running from the law!   :Thud:

Katfish

I wonder how many people confuse models
I can't tell you how many people come up and ask what year my 70 is, right after I tell them, they reply, "I had 1 just like it, but it was a 69"......

I bet the cops in the 70s would have used a 4 door car, even for a pursuit vehicles.

xx88man

Quote from: Katfish on March 20, 2018, 01:05:25 PM
I wonder how many people confuse models
I can't tell you how many people come up and ask what year my 70 is, right after I tell them, they reply, "I had 1 just like it, but it was a 69"......

:rofl:    :rofl: 
Keep yer foot in it

Mixup7071

He told me they wanted a car that didn't look like a cop car, he didn't say what year and I couldn't Tell you if he confused makes or models.

cuda hunter

I'm sure they did it.  I have a wing from an Arizona superbird cop car. 
Cops can do whatever they want however and whenever they want.  Nothing has changed from the seventies.  Cool cops or bad cops. 
  would be super cool to find that car in a field or dark hollow.  Chally cop car!   Super cool !
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

71-440

Joe

RUNCHARGER

That would be my dream job right there. Say a 440 R/T with a 2.94 swapped in. They wouldn't have to pay me to run down the baddies, I'd do it for free,
Sheldon

Mixup7071

I think he was under cover, no light bar on top.

Brads70

Toronto police has Iroc's Camaro's cruising on the DVP in the late 80's early 90's ( slugs though! LOL )  so I don't see why not a Challenger?

ec_co

there are a few new Challenger police pursuit units out there, but they are pretty rare. Arizona State Patrol has one (no light bar though, undercover so they can catch people), saw them pull someone over on my trip down to Mexico. it would be cool to find one of the old e-bodies, but they have to be as rare as a '71 Hemi Cuda vert
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Mpdlawdog

sounds like there would be some jurisdiction issues in that story...unless he went by the name of Sheriff Buford T. Justice (you know because he was in hot pursuit for like 5 states :D)

ZEN357

Cool Story!!!  When I signed up for my U Connect account the gentleman that helped me was located in Florida and he said that's what they used for police cars down there.