Main Menu

search issues

Started by cuda hunter, June 13, 2020, 07:59:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I'm just voicing my complaint here to the complaint department.

I really like this site, how it's laid out and how everything works. 

However, the search ability on the site is really poor.  I can never find what i'm looking for through the search engine. 

I had a WIW post about a dana 60 out of a challenger that I have the ability to buy.  I search Dana 60, get 8 pages of topics with dana 60 in the search, look through all of them and my post about a specific dana 60 does not show up. 
I try just dana, same results.  I try Dana cuda hunter and I get 2 results that have nothing to do with what I'm after. 
When I go into my profile I can see the 200 plus pages of posts I have been involved in but I really don't want to go through 200 pages to find the one post I made.  There is no way to search my own posts. 
There is no way to search posts made by me on the regular forum or profile. 

There is at least one post a week that someone else mentions that the search engine didn't work so they are asking their question instead of finding the information. 

There is a ton of information on this site but I'm having issues finding anything I am after via the search engine. 

Probably nothing that can be done about this, but I had to just mention my one beef with the site.  It's not a deal breaker by any means for me, but it is quite annoying. 

I guess I will just have to go through all my posts to find the information.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

I found what I was after by searching through the WIW threads. 
However, just on the first page there must be mention of dana 60 a dozen times.  This thread never came up on my search for dana 60. 

Weird that there is so many mentions of dana 60 but the search didn't recognize any of them. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Jay Bee

Are you using the "Advance search" where you can specify your user name and which board to search. I find that helps narrow things down sometimes.

Shoooter

there is advance search button to make it easier. It's hard to find though if you are not looking for it. Once you click on search it is at the bottom. You can fine tune it there even down to search between days. The advance search button is small so maybe making it larger would help it get noticed. 

cuda hunter

I had not seen the advanced search option.  i will look for that small button.

thanks!

Mrbill426

I will have to try that because I echo @cuda hunter with frustrating trouble searching for stuff that I just KNOW is there.  I try short sentence "quotes" and such and still nothing.  I try not to start new threads because I don't want to be a pest here with questions.
Thanks

Quote from: Shoooter on June 13, 2020, 08:29:24 AM
there is advance search button to make it easier. It's hard to find though if you are not looking for it. Once you click on search it is at the bottom. You can fine tune it there even down to search between days. The advance search button is small so maybe making it larger would help it get noticed.

cuda hunter

sure enough, the advanced search option worked to bring up the thread i was after.

Maybe that's all I've been doing wrong all this time.

Yes, I would think that making the Advanced search option an easier option to find would make this much easier for everyone else on the board. 

Jay Bee

Quote from: cuda hunter on June 13, 2020, 08:39:08 AM
i will look for that small button.

It's not an actual button, just text under the words - e.g. Orwell "Animal Farm" -movie
Edit: I was typing while you were posting, glad you found it.

Cuda Cody

The search works great on this site.  Trying using the advance search.  You'll like it a lot.  :yes:

For example, if I search for Dana and only search your posts it brings back just 10 topics (including this thread already).

If I search for Dana posts that Cuda Hunter made in the WIW threads it brings up 2 topics.

cuda hunter

The advanced search definitely makes a difference and does indeed work well.   I just had not seen that advanced option before.

I do feel that it is difficult to find.