Main Menu

Long term ownership of your E-body ?

Started by bentpshrods, October 17, 2020, 05:07:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

TA/Z06/GSXR1100

This is a very fun thread! Kudos to the OP !

Cudajason

Quote from: bentpshrods on October 17, 2020, 05:07:41 PM
   After reading Cudajasons post on having his car for 30 years now got me to thinking of who has had their car the longest.   I think there are a few members who have had their cars since new, but not many can say that. Lucky for me I have had my cuda for 43 years. (July 77). Had it sold once a long time ago for 4,000.00. Guy came over and looked at it and said he would go to the bank and get the money and be right back. Never showed up. Was mad for quite a while as I was young and broke at that time. Just stupid luck I think that I have had the car this long and it survived my youth for the most part.   ::)   So as not to hijack Jasons thread who can claim the title of having their car the longest. 70/6chall said he's had his for 44 years, a few others at 30 years.  Even those that are not long time owners can chime in.  Would be good to hear from the younger generations who are just getting into these cars and if they think they will hold on to them for a while.

Hey great idea @bentpshrods Happy I could provide the inspiration!

As the OP mentioned, I have owned my Cuda for 30 years.  This was essentially my first car, at 16 years old.  When I got it had the original paint, but the stock 318 and trans was long gone and replaced with a 360 / 727 out of a 1980 New Yorker.  The interior had recently been redone and converted from white to black, which was a huge selling feature for me.

The body was very rough and looked like it had been through a hail storm or five.  I was told it was a north Carolina car, which in Ontario in 1990 is a huge deal, and the car had all its original body panels including the trunk.  Again huge selling feature.

So I snapped it up for the tidy sum of $2700 or $2900 CAD

The first year I owned it I pulled the engine out an rebuilt it in high school shop class, adding the usual teen ager hop up parts.

My dad is a body man, so after driving it for one summer, pops painted it as you see it today, that took the better part of the year, no panels needed replacing, just a couple of patches behind the rear wheel.

It was my daily driver the next summer and then for a number reasons out of my control the car went into storage for a long time (I think it was 14 plus years).  Most of those years it was indoors, some outdoors.

Once I got my life in order and my first house, I was able to bring the car home and got it back on the road.   I continue to tweak it and play with it constantly.

I have not plans to sell it, ever.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.