Main Menu

1994 prices

Started by js27, January 18, 2022, 01:15:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

I found this Feb 1994 Hemmings in my stash. Wow if we only knew back then. $30-40 thousand for a original 70-71 Hemi Cuda and we thought they were crazy prices then. I was very surprised at the 66 Hemi Satellite Convertible for $500,000.00. That was crazy money back then and still would be today. I wonder if it sold. Also you could have bought Don Prudomme Hot Wheels Funny Car for $8500.00 I will get some Challenger prices up later this week.
Enjoy
JS27

js27

Not sure why the photos over lapped and cut of some of the adds.
JS27

BIGSHCLUNK

A cool trip down memory lane  :ohyeah:

JH27N0B

I remember the time well.  Prices started to spike in the late 80's and then dipped back down markedly in the early 90s.  Prices started to creep back up in the mid to late 90s then skyrocketed in the early 2000s, just to dip back down again during the great recession.
I was looking for a Challenger convertible in the mid 90s, had a nice solid driver in mind, a 318 car I could dress up a bit with rally wheels and raisin bran hood.  I had a budget of around $12,500 which was reasonable then but I wasn't finding anything decent to buy.  Then by '96 I was getting frustrated with my search and decided to run want ads.  I ended up only getting 4 or 5 responses, none of which were 318 cars, and ended up splurging some and bought my 383 car after pondering about going 25% over my budget.  Thank goodness I did, best money I ever spent!
However I will never forget one of the responses I got, a Challenger R/T convertible, black with red interior and stripes that had recently been featured in Mopar Muscle.  The guy wanted $30,000 for it which was way over budget so I couldn't even begin to consider it.  What that car would be worth now!!
In the late 90s I drove to Iowa to buy some parts for my T/A restoration from Jeff Bobst, and he had a '70 hemi Challenger R/T there for sale.  A solid but fairly plain Jane car, F4 green auto, looked like one quarter might have had some bodywork done at some point but still a very honest looking car.  He wanted something like $38,500 for it.  All the way home on my return trip I was thinking about that car and how I thought I could probably come up with the money to buy it, but I didn't have a place for it, and if I bought it that would put my T/A restoration plan in limbo. 
Only a few years later, the prices started to spike again.  Darnit, coulda, shoulda, woulda!!  :pullinghair: :headbang:
Good memories, I wish I'd had more garage space so I could have picked up a few more cars in the 90s.  I guess I can't complain too much, I still love the convertible I bought over 25 years after I got it.

RzeroB

Quote from: js27 on January 18, 2022, 01:15:32 PM
I found this Feb 1994 Hemmings in my stash. Wow if we only knew back then. $30-40 thousand for a original 70-71 Hemi Cuda and we thought they were crazy prices then. I was very surprised at the 66 Hemi Satellite Convertible for $500,000.00. That was crazy money back then and still would be today. I wonder if it sold. Also you could have bought Don Prudomme Hot Wheels Funny Car for $8500.00 I will get some Challenger prices up later this week.
Enjoy
JS27

I did "enjoy" your post ... thanks!! Makes we want to play detective and try and figure out which exact (VIN) Hemi cars these might be. Got some good leads here ... but how does one proceed to try and solve the puzzle?? :thinking:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RUNCHARGER

Actuallty: It looks like most of these cars were pretty poor as an investment over 28 years. Just shows you have to enjoy using them and invest in other things if it's investment you're worried about.
Sheldon

mopar thunder

That was wild to see. I wish I worried more about cars like those in the early 90's than what I was worried about - my ex wife leaving me.... notice I said ex.  :takemymoney:

HP_Cuda

Those were the days....
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

Funny you picked 1994...that was a pivotal year for me, I did a full ground up restoration on a 1971 Duster Twister....Was in lots of magazines, won lots of awards yadda yadda yadda... :looney:

To buy the car, and do a COMPLETE ground up restoration cost me a total of $17K back in 93/94......do you think I could sell a Duster for ANYTHING close to that  :'(  I ended up selling it for $10K back to the guy who sold it to me....so in other words...he got a complete ground up restoration for less then $10K and it came with a trunk full of trophies.........

Boy...those were the days....full restorations for $17K.....Today I pay $22K just for paint jobs now  :crying:

Oh...looks like I had hair then too  :rubeyes: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1Burgfish

:wrenching:  OK when is that darn time machine gonna be built; got to go and get that Black AAR for under $10,000!!!!! I bet I could get it for $8500.  :takemymoney:

js27

Quote from: anlauto on January 20, 2022, 11:22:26 AM
Funny you picked 1994...that was a pivotal year for me, I did a full ground up restoration on a 1971 Duster Twister....Was in lots of magazines, won lots of awards yadda yadda yadda... :looney:

To buy the car, and do a COMPLETE ground up restoration cost me a total of $17K back in 93/94......do you think I could sell a Duster for ANYTHING close to that  :'(  I ended up selling it for $10K back to the guy who sold it to me....so in other words...he got a complete ground up restoration for less then $10K and it came with a trunk full of trophies.........

Boy...those were the days....full restorations for $17K.....Today I pay $22K just for paint jobs now  :crying:

Oh...looks like I had hair then too  :rubeyes: :haha:

I actually had every issue of Hemmings from 1991 till 2001. When I moved to SC I trashed them all and for some reason this one survived in a box. I now have every issue of Mopar Collectors Guide from around 1992 till now. Can't sell tham because shipping cost to much so they will get trashed also.
JS27