Main Menu

2016 Challenger R/T Blacktop Edition

Started by RusTy/SE, May 13, 2021, 02:11:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RusTy/SE

First off I apologize for not posting more often. My life has changed in more ways than I can count since Sept 2019 and there will be separate threads about these I'm sure.

While the car in the title is huge for me, there is also a woman in my life, Milynda; since January we've been reserving Saturdays for often hiking followed by and dinner and and just hanging out and talking/getting to know each other while speaking on the phone for a couple of hours each and every evening save for those Saturdays. All of you guys happy with your wife or girlfriend, I get it. I so, so get it! And she gets my Purple R/T SE Challenger. I still have no idea how lucky I am  :perfect10:

The car. I'll start with a bit of background. Last month both the Power Control Module an Body Control Module in my trusty 2001 Durango shorted out leaving me stranded for two weeks. No joy. They've since been replaced along with a new battery and cleaned fuel injectors. Until this recent setback, she's been dependable as a Swiss watch. It just turned past 130k miles. is clean and never been smoked in (!?) plus it has the factory am/fm cd cassette system so I can play my ancient media :D

I had decided that I needed to buy something newer and was actually looking hard at the 2017-2018 Toyota Tacoma. Milynda knows I like Challengers and has a pickup truck already, so she suggested that I get something that makes me happy. Now she did it, lol :twothumbsup: 

I keep remembering something Ryan Brutt, The Auto Archaeologist, once posted about his late model R/T Challenger and how great it was as an everyday car, so I went online and started looking - what Tacoma?. Last Saturday was planned for a  look at a 2015 B5 Blue R/T Plus (Plus = Leather Interior) with 53k miles for $28,595 located in Kennesaw GA and although the pictures online did the car no injustices, in person she was rough around the edges and rattled so I decided to pass ::) I've enclosed a few pics.

After that one didn't pan out, she suggested, since we're here, let's see what else may be available to look at in person. Bearing in mind this is metro Atlanta, we found only one candidate in McDonough GA which although is only 60 miles away, took two hours to reach :Thud:

Milynda noticed how I spotted this Challenger almost before we pulled in to the Jim Ellis Toyota dealership used car section. It's a 2016 Challenger R/T Blacktop Edition with only 24k miles on it!! I think the factory name is Redline Red but I was smitten :rubeyes: :takealook: :yes:

So two hours later after dealer prep and a full tank of fuel, Milynda was following me to Hacienda restaurant -great food!! - to celebrate the purchase before heading back to Montgomery. According to Carfax it started out as a pampered lease car before owner number 2 got it and put a JLT Cold Air Intake on and (I believe) removed the rear resonators, because when I hit the start button, it really snarls! I'm pretty sure owner 2 had a sense of humor because of the item now covering the start button. When I got in for the test drive, I laughed at it to myself, then foot on the brake, hit the button and whoa!, I was not prepared for THAT sound :bradsthumb:

I'm patiently waiting for paperwork to be completed before I can pick up an Alabama tag and license plate; insurance is in place as of Tuesday. I started it three times Sunday just because I love the sound, but haven't driven it until just after I post this. I keep looking out my house window overlooking my driveway just to make sure this isn't a dream, and each time yep, there it is 8)

I know it's not a 70-74 but holy crap it's nice. This one was advertised for $32,995 but I got it for less. :takemymoney: :stayinlane:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

JS29

1ownr

Congrats, you'll be smiling' for a long time!

Judy

MEK-Dangerous

Russ,

Do you plan any modifications for it? Since it is a Blacktop edition, I think it needs some black side stripes. Of course, I always put stripes on my cars, so maybe I'm a little bit biased.  :smile:

I'm really happy for you!! Good luck with the car... and the girl.   :clapping:

Brads70

Congratulations Russ! Nice ride, great to see you on here too! Sure miss being able to attend Carlisle hanging out with you!   Did you get a new pair of rear tires ordered yet?  :Stirring: :)  It's great to hear your happy and healthy! Enjoy my friend!  :slapme5:

Bullitt-

Glad to hear thangs is GROOVY down yor way   :woohoo:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

RusTy/SE

Thanks! Mods, hmmm.. I love the stripes just as they are but I can see putting some muffler or resonator on just so's I'm not the latest to fulfill the Arrest-Me-Red references. Until then, there's no sneaking around in this thing.

Milynda and I got in yesterday and it took us hiking at Lake Martin about 30 minutes from her house and I'm finding out just how much clearance I have under the from spoiler; she has a long freshly regraveled driveway and until it gets levelled I have to stay on the high path to not scrape the front spoiler and on the way to the hike I had to drive over a legs up armadillo which had been hit and was unavoidably legs up in the center of the road. I nicked the legs but did no damage. :no:

One item in the trunk which I enclosed a pic of seems to be an array of led lights with the power wire going to the battery but no controller was handed to me with the car :notsure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrI-9DucbF8
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach