Main Menu

2018 Flu Epidemic

Started by Topcat, January 19, 2018, 06:42:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Did you or your family catch the Flu in 12/17-1/18?

It was the worst Flu I've had in ages
4 (12.1%)
I had it and got better pretty quick
0 (0%)
My whole family and I were sick from it
0 (0%)
I haven't gotten the Flu yet
19 (57.6%)
I got the Flu shot and am O.K.
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: March 05, 2018, 06:42:43 PM

Topcat

They're saying this is the worst Flu epidemic yet.
A 100 people or more die everyday from it.
Every state is now at max levels of virus spreading.

The Flu shot works and if you don't get it, you will be much more likely to get it.

Allowed to do up to 3 votes.

Stay healthy my friends.

Cudakiller70

Haven't looked into myself, but hearing flu shots have only been 10-30% effective this season. People have died who have gotten the flue shot.
In perspective about 350 people die per day from prescription meds acorrding to Forbes article.

Cuda Cody

We were just informed at the fire station because of how bad the flu is this year that we are required to wear a surgical mask for every EMS call regardless of the nature.  So we have gloves and masks anytime we go in a persons home.  The flu season is more severe than usual is because it involves the hardest one to control (H3N2), a strain of the influenza A virus that causes more health complications and is more difficult to prevent.

Cudakiller70

Wash hands, stay home when sick for a start.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freeresources/updated/everyday-preventive-actions-8.5x11.pdf
Wonder if it would be effective if stores, restaurants and other public places did what cruise ships started doing and that was simply having a few people with bleach and water solutions wiping down as many surfaces that are touched frequently.

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on January 19, 2018, 06:57:29 PM
Haven't looked into myself, but hearing flu shots have only been 10-30% effective this season. People have died who have gotten the flue shot.
In perspective about 350 people die per day from perscrition meds acorrding to Forbes article.

I got flu shot this year ... then nurse says, after injection, that it probably no good because they have to obviously prepare 12 months out for production etc.  so they guess on the flu strain.  This years "guess" was wrong.  But says - hey. You never know. So good you got it.  Lol

Topcat

I got the flu shot about a week ago.

Haven't gotten the flu yet.  :fingerscrossed:

Everyday is a gamble of the dice out there.
And the odds start to work against you with more persons you interact with.

2 people I know, knew of friends or relatives that died of it recently.

1 Wild R/T

I haven't had a flu shot, I have no intentions of getting a flu shot & I don't plan to catch the flu either.... Last time I got a flu shot was in the mid 90's & that year just like the year before when I also had a flu shot I got sicker than I even had when not getting a shot.... I'll take my chances... :alan2cents:

dodj

I'm with Wild  :drinkingbud:
I have no intention of getting a flu shot. I like the idea of letting my body's normal immune system do the work if it becomes necessary.
If sometime in life I end up with a compromised immune system, I might be convinced to get a shot...maybe.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JH27N0B

Are they really reporting on the left coast that this is the worst flu season ever?? It's not even close, the Spanish flu epidemic 100 years ago killed 10s of millions of people worldwide.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic
Here the media is saying it's the worst flu season since 2014-2015. 
Which isn't to diminish the tragedy some families have suffered, I've seen reports of otherwise healthy grade school kids who have gotten this years strain and ended up dying.
They give free flu shots at my work every fall and I'd be a fool not to take advantage of that.  Some people claim they get the flu from the shots which is nonsense. The shot has weakened or deactivated viruses of several flu virus strains and causes the body to develop defenses against the strains. The body reacting to the weakened viruses can cause light flu symptoms in some which is why some claim it gives them the flu.
I've never had any reaction to the shot.  I started getting shots in 2006 or 7, last had the flu in 2005.
At any rate, they claim even though this years shot isn't very effective it still diminishes the severity in most people who got it and still get the flu.
I hope it's peaking now and the worst of this years season will soon be behind us!

anlauto

If I wanted the flu, I'd get the flu shot.....Isn't that how it works ?  :haha: :haha:

I'm another one who doesn't believe in that stuff...sorry.... :console:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

I think the viruses keep getting worse because we have developed shots to prevent it.  So it kind of mutates to keep getting stronger, seems to be natures way.   :barf:

Brads70

Jim AAR

It's NOT a Government sponsored inoculation, it is totally by choice.

It is 100% IMPOSSIBLE to get the Flu from the Flu shot as the Virus you receive is completely DEAD.

IT also will have NO AFFECT on the Viruses ability to MUTATE in the future.

Viruses will always mutate because that is what they do, it's purely natures way to stay alive and ALL LIVING things do this.

If living things did not mutate no living thing would have ever survived.

If there is something that is totally safe to prevent disease, it is in my opinion our responsibility to take advantage of it and an irresponsibility to society to not take advantage of it.

Since the US Government has made the Measles Vaccine optional in many states, it is making a comeback and that could cause a mutation in the virus that will put everyone at risk.

Quote from the CDC:
"Before the measles vaccination program started in 1963, an estimated 3 to 4 million people got measles each year in the United States. Of these, approximately 500,000 cases were reported each year to CDC; of these, 400 to 500 died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and 1,000 developed encephalitis (brain swelling) from measles. Since then, widespread use of measles vaccine has led to a greater than 99% reduction in measles cases compared with the pre-vaccine era. "

So the Polio Vaccine, Measles Vaccine, Rubella Vaccine, Smallpox Vaccine, Tetanus Vaccine, Mumps Vaccine, Diphtheria Vaccine haven't benefited Humans.

Being a gearhead and always working with metal, do you not get a Tetanus shot?

"Qoute from the CDC:
"Since the discovery and productions of the tetanus vaccines, the occurrence of tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis has decreased. Using US population derived figures, following vaccination, 95% of people are protected from diphtheria, 80% to 85% of people are protected from pertussis, and 100% of people are protected from tetanus.[9] Before the vaccine there was an average of 580 annual cases of tetanus and 472 annual deaths from tetanus. But since the vaccine there is an average of 41 annual cases of tetanus and 4 annual deaths from tetanus. This is 93% reduction in occurrence of tetanus and a 99% reduction in fatalities resulting from tetanus.[9]
Tetanus has become uncommon in the United States, with an average of 29 reported cases per year from 1996 through 2009. Nearly all cases of tetanus are among those who have never received a tetanus vaccine, or adults who don't stay up to date on their 10-year booster shots

Would you rather have this: "Tetanus is caused by a type of bacteria. You may have heard tetanus called "lockjaw" — that's because one of the most common signs is painful tightening in the jaw muscles that can make it hard to open the mouth, breathe, or swallow."
Tetanus is an uncommon but very dangerous disease — of every 10 people who get it, as many as 2 will die. Thanks in part to tetanus vaccines, deaths from tetanus in the United States have dropped by 99% since 1947.

Take a look at this chart and you will see how wrong the assumption's are that vaccines are ineffective.

Sorry for the rant, just my opinion and  :alan2cents:

JH27N0B

But Jennifer McCarthy says vaccines are dangerous, and she's a celebrity and still sort of hot, so she must know what she's talking about!  :crazytalk:
In '05 I had an old rusty screwdriver I was using slip and puncture the palm of my hand, on a weekend.  I realized that I couldn't recall having a tetnus shot since '91, so I called my doctor and he insisted I go to the ER for a booster shot rather than wait until Monday to go to his office.  Therefore I ended up with a big ER bill for not staying on top of my vaccinations.  Another reason to go to your doctor regularly and get your shots!
Semi related story, a good buddy of mine didn't get around to getting a routine colonoscopy you are supposed to get when you are 50, until he was around 54.  They found a tumor through the wall of his lower intestine sadly, and they ended up having to remove his lower bowel.  He is cancer free now but will go through the rest of his days with a colonstomy bag.  Not a vaccine story I know, but a good example of how putting off medical things, ignoring medical advice, etc and making excuses and jokes about it can come back to bite you in the arse, literally!

dodj

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 20, 2018, 07:20:59 AM
I think the viruses keep getting worse because we have developed shots to prevent it.  So it kind of mutates to keep getting stronger, seems to be natures way.   :barf:
That would be evolution in action. It's non-stop.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill