Main Menu

4 post lifts...recommendations?

Started by R/T's 4 R/P, August 02, 2020, 05:40:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

R/T's 4 R/P

I'm thinking of a 4 post lift. (for various reasons a 2 post is out)
Who has one and what recommendations do you have? 
Brand?
Options?
Height of ceiling needed?
Also, what is the total footprint of the lift, post to post?
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

RacerX

Quote from: R/T's 4 R/P on August 02, 2020, 05:40:23 PM
I'm thinking of a 4 post lift. (for various reasons a 2 post is out)
Who has one and what recommendations do you have? 
Brand?
Options?
Height of ceiling needed?
Also, what is the total footprint of the lift, post to post?

I have the Bendpak HD9-XW.    It is their "extra tall" unit.   I got it because I am a tall guy and like to have the option to go as high as I need.   I have never had a car all the way up though.
Height of ceiling will depend on what you want to lift and how high you need it to go to be able to work comfortably under it.   If it is too low you hunch over a lot and working like that really sucks.    The eaves in my garage are 14 feet and the peak around 20-ish. 

I researched a lot of 4 post lifts and the Bendpak seems to be the most widely accepted.   The design is better in my opinion than some of the other brands and assembly was not difficult.

I have had my Dodge 2500 4x4 quad cab diesel on it and it lifts it without any issues.   Even with the hood up and the truck raised up high so my long arms can reach where I need to go it never comes close to the ceiling.   

Bendpak has a comparison table where you can see the heights, widths, lengths, etc...

https://www.bendpak.com/HD-9-Four-Post-Lift-5175861-BendPak.pdf

The HD9-XW runways are a little longer also, I wanted that for big vehicles like the truck...

I also have the rolling jack (goes between the runways) and the oil change tank (also between the runways)  Both items worth every penny.

Racer57

This is what I have. I also bought the scissor lift so I could get tires in the air. I've had it for 4+ years and have had zero issues other than making readjustments due to cable stretch. It takes 3-4 strong people to assemble. One of the runways has the hyd cyl and cables and weighs a lot plus being awkward. I paid local company that sells them to assemble. Figured they would have it done in less time than it took me to get the people and figure out wtf to do. It did.   Measure your shop space then compare to specs listed.  https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-4-Post-Hobbyist-Lift-Comparison-Guide

Rich G.

I have 2 lifts . Classic which is very nice but I think they don't make them anymore. But after checking out a lot of lifts the lift I got last year was from Advantage Lifts. Great lift and double safety's. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one from them if I ever had the room for another one.

GoMangoBoys

I am thrilled with the "Backyard Buddy" that I bought last year.  They look more expensive than they are.  If you call and talk to the salesman, he will quote you a lower price than the website shows.  It is a great lift that does not get bolted down.  Very high quality and it is made here near Youngstown Ohio.  A great lift and supporting an American Company and American workers.
https://steelvalleylifts.com/

wldgtx

I got mine from GregSmith, it has been awesome and I have not had a single issue with it other than minor cable adjustments.  It was not bad to put together (I used a cherry picker to make it easier).  I recommend a lift to ANYONE who asks about it. 

1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

captcolour

+1 on Advantage Lifts.  Really like how it locks in which up and doesn't rely on hydraulics to hold the car.  I have the model SS9000XLT.  Had it 4 years and no issues.  I looked at a lot of lifts and thought Advantage was the best built in that price point.  Backyard Buddy was about double.  Bendpack and others may be a little less expensive for the lift itself, but the accessories with Advantage were less expensive.  I have two rolling hydraulic lifts so I can rotate tires, etc.

Daveh

Why not a 2 post lift? they even have portable ones today.  Just a thought.  Would have been helpful when I installed my engine.

Racer57

I didn't go with a 2 post because the whole intent was to stay away from getting down on my knees crawling around.   2 post you have to move the arms in/out and I'm getting too lazy for that.  :D 

captcolour

I store my car up on the lift so a 4 post was a must.

Racer57

Something else that I almost forgot. The 4 post I bought came with detached wheels that are simple to fasten enabling you to move the rack around really easy.

captcolour

Quote from: Racer57 on August 04, 2020, 07:05:23 PM
Something else that I almost forgot. The 4 post I bought came with detached wheels that are simple to fasten enabling you to move the rack around really easy.
Same with the Advantage Lifts.

dodj

I have a two post Direct Lift. I think the quality is very good. Their four posters are probably a quality unit as well.
https://directlift.com/four-post-lifts/
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill