Main Menu

***A BETTER POP-UP & AD BLOCKER***

Started by Jay Bee, July 09, 2021, 06:10:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

I was talking with my techie son about pop-up and ad issues on here and he recommended: uBlock Origin
I told him I'm running AdBlock with no issues and he said I should still switch over.
The video states that AdBlock and ABP will let companies pay a fee to allow their ads to pass through, not cool.
Hope this helps, if not, take it up with my son.

BIGSHCLUNK

70vert

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

Thanks @Jay Bee   I just installed it and deleted adblock. Worth a try!  :bradsthumb:

Jay Bee

That's cool 70vert & Brad.
After you guys put a few miles on it please give some feedback as to how it's running.

Brads70

Quote from: Jay Bee on July 09, 2021, 04:23:56 PM
That's cool 70vert & Brad.
After you guys put a few miles on it please give some feedback as to how it's running.

It seems to be working great so far! No more pop ups and I think my desktop is running a little faster now too!  Thanks for the heads up! Great post!  :bradsthumb:

@Jay Bee

Jay Bee

Just added it to my Chrome and uninstalled AdBlock. Already impressed.  :woohoo:
My yahoo mail was getting pop-ups recently, that's all gone.
Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like pages are loading faster too.

RacerX

I am pretty happy with Ublock origin...   works great.   Almost zero ads, even on youtube

Check out how many it has blocked (circled in the pic)...    that's a lot of ads!!

70vert

my impression so far, only a few days use:

It does a great job blocking pop-ups. Haven't gotten any since installing, here or elsewhere. In fact I wanted to use it on my phone also but I use Edge on Android (not a Chrome fan) and it is not yet available. I've asked them if it is coming, since Edge is brand new (complete re-design a few months ago), so hope so. 

Although I do feel like my PC is a bit peppier, that may just be wishful thinking. And certainly can't tell on this site as performance is kind of a roller-coaster.

If in fact it is true that other ad blockers sell passkeys to venders that is enough for me to use this. And I am happy so far.

Caution: be sure to use "uBlock Origin" url, there is a "uBlock.com" and it is NOT an adblocker.