Main Menu

Does anyone have any older Dodge/Plymouth's?

Started by ViperMan, August 21, 2017, 10:02:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ViperMan

1930's, 40's, 50's cars - anybody have an old Business Coupe, Special Deluxe, Gen I Coronets, Royal Deluxe, Lancers, etc?

I've been looking at 40's business coupes and 55/56 Coronet/Lancer project cars to goof off with until I can afford the e-body.  I'm looking for basically patina cars that aren't total rust-buckets but also aren't restored/survivor cars.

Just wondering if anyone had anything like that on this forum!

Cuda Cody

I'm helping a buddy with an old 30's car.  I'll tell you the same thing I told him.  Find the best most rust free project you can.  Because they all take a lot of time and paint does not care what it's sprayed on.  A gallon of good paint cost the same regardless what you spray it on.  And they all take a lot of time.  The nice thing about some of those old cars is you can find some pretty cheap.  The bad thing is when you go to sell you're going to have to sell it pretty cheap. 

ViperMan

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 21, 2017, 11:31:34 AM
I'm helping a buddy with an old 30's car.  I'll tell you the same thing I told him.  Find the best most rust free project you can.  Because they all take a lot of time and paint does not care what it's sprayed on.  A gallon of good paint cost the same regardless what you spray it on.  And they all take a lot of time.  The nice thing about some of those old cars is you can find some pretty cheap.  The bad thing is when you go to sell you're going to have to sell it pretty cheap.

Do you have any more pictures of that car, @Cuda Cody?  I'm mostly curious how the body sits on the frame, because the first thing I want to look at doing is channeling the body to build a street rod/lead sled look.  I've been looking at a lot of videos on channeling, but I can't find any specific layouts on the 30's/40's Dodges (most of them are either Lincoln/Mercuries or trucks.)

Yeah they're pretty cheap.  The challenge will be collecting the high-dollar tools I need (welder + air compressor alone could cost more than the car!)  I'm not really concerned about selling it - that'll be MoparMelanie's problem...  :)

I think building a 30's/40's car would be easier, but Ash saw a picture of a 55 Coronet and suddenly said, "I want that one!!!"   :haha:

dutch

I`m about to start a rat build... `39 dodge 1.5T  dump truck frame & bed,  chopped `49 Ford F1 cab, `53 Chrysler 331 Poly powered... does that count?   :Stirring:

ViperMan

Quote from: dutch on August 21, 2017, 12:35:25 PM
I`m about to start a rat build... `39 dodge 1.5T  dump truck frame & bed,  chopped `49 Ford F1 cab, `53 Chrysler 331 Poly powered... does that count?   :Stirring:

Looks like a pretty cool truck!!  Why the dodge dump truck frame, out of curiosity?

blown motor

A friend is doing up a 56 Lancer. Putting a 5.7L hemi in it out of a retired pick-up.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

dutch

Quote from: ViperMan on August 21, 2017, 12:48:45 PM

Looks like a pretty cool truck!!  Why the dodge dump truck frame, out of curiosity?

well, it`s old,( that`s a big plus here, once registered I never have to get it tech inspected again and no road tax either)  it`s a dodge,  it was cheap since there was no cab on it, it`s a dually... and I wanted a dually.  In my country old crap like this isn`t exactly growing on trees either...

ViperMan

Quote from: dutch on August 21, 2017, 01:03:40 PM
Quote from: ViperMan on August 21, 2017, 12:48:45 PM

well, it`s old,( that`s a big plus here, once registered I never have to get it tech inspected again and no road tax either)  it`s a dodge,  it was cheap since there was no cab on it, it`s a dually... and I wanted a dually.  In my country old crap like this isn`t exactly growing on trees either...

Ah - I gotcha - I was just wondering what was the benefit to using the Dodge dump truck frame under a Ford body.  But the dually sure sounds cool!!!  Don't see that very often!  Yeah I have to imagine sourcing all those parts in your neck of the woods has gotta be pretty tricky!

70/6chall

When I attend a large show, here in SoCal, I've been eyeballing the late 50's Dodge ,Plymouth, and DeSoto fin cars, especially the Station Wagons. Love to put one together back to stock. They are big and fantastic looking.      Thanks,   Al