Main Menu

Aftermarket AC Options

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 26, 2020, 08:35:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Not sure where this belongs so please move if needed. Has anyone added aftermarket AC to their non AC E body? I want to add this to my project 70 Challenger and while I'm doing all the metal work, I need to start thinking about this. Rather than using ugly block off plates, I'd like to go the extra mile and get as clean a look as possible with a little extra fabrication. Now is the time before paint. I see Classic Auto Air and Vintage Air. I'm interested in what works best and has the most appealing vent layout inside the cabin. Classic Air is quite a bit more money but their website is awful and I've had trouble pulling up instructions and photos.

I'd appreciate advice on these or any other kits out there. Photos of firewalls and cabin layout would also be great. I'm a little concerned I'll go to all this trouble and find the air flow volume is weak and struggles to keep you comfortable on a hot day.

I posted this on the Facebook page too but so far, a lot of comments about originality. The interior will be custom and there are enough changes throughout the car that I don't really want a change back option. Just looking for opinions and options on the best AC for my project.

Scooter

Previous owner of my 74 Challenger installed the VA setup.. only have one photo of the install and thankful to have that.

GL
-Scoot

70 Challenger Lover

That's a great shot. I was wondering how it would attach on the inside and I hope to mock everything up long before I put a dash assembly in. Thanks! Are you happy with the performance of the unit?

anlauto

You could get a little creative and not have the lines in the engine compartment at all :dunno:  Here's a car that I was building for a guy from California...unfortunately I never finished the car because he ran out of money....We filled the firewall smooth and went the wheel well route with all custom lines.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Scooter

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 26, 2020, 08:53:00 AM
That's a great shot. I was wondering how it would attach on the inside and I hope to mock everything up long before I put a dash assembly in. Thanks! Are you happy with the performance of the unit?

Bought the car last October and almost embarrassed to admit I have not run the AC yet. The heater and defrost run & work fine. Previous owner said the AC was not working at time of purchase as he was working out hooking it to the e-fans. Everything seems to be hooked up and you can tell it was working previously. I want to take it to a local shop and have it tested for leaks and a charge before I turn the compressor on. Don't want to risk harming the system.   

70 Challenger Lover

Supposedly, newer systems with newer compressors generally have safety switches to keep the compressor from engaging if the pressure isn't right.

70 Challenger Lover

On routing the lines through the wheel well area, that's rather ingenious. I have the US Car Tools bracing in there now so I couldn't go that route if I wanted. I'm happy with routing them through the firewall. I don't mind the hoses being all out there and visible. I'm just going for a look that does not appear like a kit and seems more clean. I wouldn't mind normally but since the car is a shell and I'm finishing up the metal work, why not shoot for a cleaner engine bay look before epoxying the car up?

On another car, I bought a special AC hose crimping kit and that thing makes fantastic looking hose and hose ends. I know the kit will come with prefabricated hoses but if I don't like them, I'm going to make some stuff up. It's actually pretty easy and surprisingly inexpensive.

Scooter

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on April 26, 2020, 09:59:38 AM
Supposedly, newer systems with newer compressors generally have safety switches to keep the compressor from engaging if the pressure isn't right.

Yup. But at this point I figure why risk it? I have both fans now running off a temp sensor in the intake manifold so I don't need to worry about overheating. I'll just take it in and get it leak checked and charged. Suppose I could flick it on to see if the compressor engages correctly.

Here are a couple of photos of the firewall side minus all the plumbing. as indicated above, this was a factory AC car.