Main Menu

Any computer nerds here ?

Started by js27, January 24, 2022, 11:43:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

HP All in one Printer are nothing but a piece of shit. Their support is even worse. Had one two years ago and for no reason stopped printing black even though I replace the 1/2 full cartridge with a brand new HP ink cartridge and it still did not print. Got no help from HP so I threw it in the trash. I went out and bough a brand new one last Jan ( because that is the only kind I could get--seems there was a shortage for ink jet printers) It worked for 1 year and last week stopped printing black again HP SUPPORT is worthless so I figured I would just print color. Well I got two prints off in color and now it won't print at all. And again HP Support is worthless. I am done I will NEVER buy another HP Product again. I had 2 HP laptop that lasted a year and switched to Lenovo and have no issues with them at all. I wished they made a printer.
Anybody else have these issues ?
JS27

anlauto

I have an HP officejet 4500   probably at least 10 years old...eats ink like crazy and the scanner stopped working...but otherwise no issues with it "NOT" printing the black :dunno: nowadays things are pretty much disposable after a couple of years anyways... :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

purple1

Sound like a print head failure. Some of the HP's have replaceable print heads separate from the ink. I'm not sure about your particular model.

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer. Severna Park, Maryland

Jay Bee

I bought a HP Laserjet 1600 colour laser printer on August 20, 2007 and it's still working flawlessly. Back then I contacted HP with a printing issue (it was me doing something wrong, not the printer) but they never responded back. Worst customer service in the industry, period. I've heard that from other HP customers too.

I no longer use ink/inkjet, tired of that technology, it's only laser for me. The toners last longer, don't dry out or clog printer heads. Highly recommend to go laser.

js27

IT APPEARS THE OLDER PRINTER ARE BETTER AND LONGER LASTING. THE NEWER ONES SEEMED TO BE JUNK.
jS27

EV2RTSE

I strongly agree laser is a better option. At work we have a couple of HP 4200 / 4250 lasers that easily have 500,000 pages on them. They require maintenance kits occasionally but they seem to just keep going and going. At home I have an HP laser all in one fax/scanner/printer that also works flawlessly. My wife gave me an HP laptop for a gift and it's worked fine for probably 8-9 years now, but I agree a Lenovo is very likely a better choice for a laptop. And for what it's worth I've had experience with 3 different Brother laser printers older to newer, but all gave me grief with their toner getting all over the paper. So for me I'll stick with HP laser printers.  :dunno:

captcolour

I have a HP LaserJet Pro 127.  I've had it for 6 years and has worked flawlessly.  Probably uses a cartridge every two to three years.

MKA

I'm using a canon inkjet all in one.   Bought it in 2017.  Works fine but the interface is impossible especially the Wi-Fi setup.

Computers,  Apple all day long.  Still using my 21 inch desktop from 2009. Looks the sleekest, usually the fastest. Cost twice as much last 4 times as long and comes vaccinated against most virus  :yes:

My last HP from work started having the battery expand at 2 yrs old.   Literally disconnecting the keyboard from the base.  They said it was safe but stop using immediately discard asap. :haha:

dodj

I have a Brother HL-2280 laser. Monochrome. Had it at least ten years now. No issues. $40 toner lasts 2 years
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70vert

as mentioned, Laser is definitely the best. But more expensive.
For Ink-jet I recommend the Office Jet line, I have an Office Jet Pro 8020 (from Costco) and it works great. Cost about $220. The "home" models are dirt cheap but won't stand up = you get what you pay for. I'm also a fan of Instant Ink, it is so easy, never out of ink, and actually a pretty good bargain (you can choose how much you're use and if you go over it is a nominal charge).

Disclaimer: I used to work for HP, as an MIS financial systems manager.

moreparts

I gave up on inkjets years ago.  Lasers are definitely the way to go.  I've been using Brother.  When I look to purchase I check for the price of toner cartridge's.  Brother has some 3rd party vendors selling replacement color and black toners so cheap these days that getting an inkjet is just not worth it at all.  I think my last 3-in-1 Brother cost me about 100 bucks and is still running like a top.  One other thing to look out for with the modern printers is a lot of them will have chips on the toner to make sure you buy an authentic replacement cartridge.  So you'll want to check if the clone toners come with the chip.  Some will work though if you pry your old chip from the toner cartridge you're replacing.

larry4406

I have had issues also with the HP inkjet printers at my house, but not like the OP's.

I download the HP Printer Scan Doctor and used it to fix my printing issues. I'm thinking my issues were driver/software/programming conflicts.

YYZ

Like @Jay Bee I had an HP 1600 colour laser printer for many years which was still working when I donated it to a technology roundup.

Generally, I have had good luck with HP and have been using an HP1025w colour laser for the past 10 years.  It is a bit flaky when printing certain .pdfs, however, for the $150 I paid for the printer, and using clone cartridges, it still gets the job done.

For black & white, do consider Brother.  We have a Brother 2370 laser, prints double-sided, and we picked it up for $99 on sale.  Normally they retail for about $200 and there are versions that have scanners, etc.

It has been a total workhorse and I routinely run 1000+ pages/month through it.  OEM toner is reasonable if you buy the 2-pack of extended life cartridges from Costco.

Personally, we haven't had much luck with inkjets, however, I understand that the newer ones in which you can top-off the ink tanks work a bit better and are less prone to gumming up.

YMMV

js27

Thank You All for your input !
JS27