Main Menu

Any Pontiac guys out there

Started by cuda hunter, August 18, 2019, 11:45:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I'm having an ignition lock issue and thought I would see if there are any pontiac guys, or gm guys on here.

The performance Years forum is really slow, although very helpful sometimes.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70 Challenger Lover

I have a 64 Vette but it's been years since I had it all apart when I restored it. I have helped a friend with his 65 GTO more recently. What's up?

cuda hunter

Thanks for looking. 

69 grand prix Tilt steering column.

I get in and the key will only turn backwards and about 1/8" forwards.
Removed the ignition lock and it works fine.
Put the new one in and the new lock cylinder does the same thing.

What other part would have gone wrong that will not let me rotate my key to the run and start position?

This is a driver car. Drove it home, parked it in the driveway. Came back out a few days later and the key wouldn't work.

Can someone tell me what's going on? Something other than the ignition cylinder is broken or changed.

With the ignition cylinder lock out I can turn the lever inside the column back to the acc position and turn forward just a little. The same as when the cylinder lock is installed.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70 Challenger Lover

Does the 69 have a steering lock to keep the wheel from spinning when the key is out? Not sure if that came in later years but I have seen people have the same problem when they try to start their cars. When you turn the steering wheel a tiny bit and release the tension on the internal components inside the column, it allows the ignition lock to move freely again.

JS29

@cuda hunter at the base of the column is an ignition switch, If i remember correctly there is a rod in between the tumbler and switch. check there first. good luck!  :alan2cents:

Bullitt-

reminds me of a situation I encountered where the front tires were turned & one was hard against the curb making it impossible to turn the key... I had to manhandle the steering wheel while the driver worked the key.   
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Took these photos from Motor Manual.
There is a rod mentioned about when replacing the ignition switch.
Have you tried the powdered graphite ?

cuda hunter

The wheel does have a lock so it doesn't turn when key is not installed and in the on position.

I've tried jiggling the linkage's on the tranny to column.  Tried moving the rods inside the steering column.
Tried moving the tilt into different positions.  Tried wiggling the console shifter. 

Nothing makes the key turn.  I have to put the whole thing back together to try manhandling the steering wheel, but with it locked I don't think it will do anything. 

cuda hunter

I can get the whole ignition cylinder out of the sleeve.  Tumbler stays in the cylinder. 
when removed the cylinder will move freely with the key.
When installed, it won't move as described. 

The bar that is inside the column appears to have a problem moving.  Although it moves back into the acc freely. 

The gold "tab" on the left is part of that bar.  it connects to the back of the ignition cylinder.  You can see in the pictures the slot that releases the cylinder. 

Sounds like you may have to lower the steering column and look at how the rod is or is not in the ignition switch.
Maybe the rod popped out and is hung up on something.

Some info about the ignition switch and turn signal switch