Main Menu

Anyone build Cat 6 cables

Started by 1 Wild R/T, February 03, 2018, 10:30:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

So I'm finally installing my camera system... I've run cables all over the house & property... Now it's time to install the plugs.... I've tried wiring them to the T568B standard but no matter how much I work with them the ends look like crap..... I'm thinking since this isn't anything when cables will need to be interchangeable I'm going to to lay the wires out how they naturally lay (not swap the blue & split the green) as long as I stick with the same pattern in all the plugs it should be fine.... I suspect the T568B pattern maximizes speed while eliminating cross talk but in my application I doubt it's an issue.... Anyone have actual experience with this? 

1 Wild R/T

Well I didn't expect many replies but I thought I might get one or two.... I've built five of the 11 cables so far... Hopefully it all works okay... They test good but testing isn't real world...

We have the data cabling installer onsite at a tenant improvement currently, can ask him on Monday , if he is there.

dodj

Bare about 2" of the individual wires. Un-twist the individual wires. Straighten them out by pinching them with your thumb and index finger and drawing them through.
Then lay them out according to color. Then with your side cutters, cut the ends straight. Arrange them so they are parallel and them push them into the RJ-45 connector. I've done hundreds and other than the first few, it's a relatively easy job.
Practice for a few before moving on to the 'real' connections.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

cudaragtop

I would stick with Cat5-e for cameras but if you have Cat-6... run what you brung.
Assume straight through is what the security system is calling for.
Make sure you have the connector orientation correct as pictured. Just untwist enough to get the wires good and straight, cut flush, insert and crimp.
Pin 1 wht/orange, Pin 2 orange, Pin 3 wht/grn, Pin 4 blu, Pin 5 wht/blu, Pin 6 grn, Pin 7 wht/brn, Pin 8 brn

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

ToxicWolf

I also used cat5 for all of mine.  :thinking:

HP_Cuda

When you say you have run cables all throughout the house do you mean inside the walls?

If so you then need to wire for a female CAT6 wall mount.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

1 Wild R/T

I'm not doing connector type wall plates...  The cables inside the house mostly enter a cabinet in the hallway through a brush plate wall, theres another cable popping out of a similar plate at the modem & still more cables at the monitor with a third brush type wall plate.......

ToxicWolf

So your not using RJ45 connectors?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: ToxicWolf on February 03, 2018, 05:53:55 PM
So your not using RJ45 connectors?

yes.. I'm using two piece RJ45 connectors

What I'm not doing is adding more connections by using wall plates with a connection.. Like the second picture..

ToxicWolf

Okay ... Now I understand.  I pulled lots of wire through the house too. I even put some infrared cameras outside so I can see the little rats sneaking in through the dark.   :haha:  :rofl:

Aar1064

Score the outer jacket with strippers about 1 1/2 inches from end. Once scored, pull to separate. Once separated, untwist the wires a pair at a time and at the same time use the outer edge of the strippers and place the each wire between thump and stripper edge and pull to straighten. This step is kind of like curling a piece of ribbon with a scissor blade. Do all 8 wires this way while fanning them out (peacock feathers) and arranging them according to the 568B standard.

Once they are straight push them together side by side ensuring that section still in jacket and exposed wires are straight. Trim total length of exposed to about 3/4 inch. Slide guide on, insert into connector (keeper tab down) and crimp.

Takes some practice but pretty simple to do. I'm on my third container of RJ45 connectors so I've terminated over a thousand ends.

1 Wild R/T

Well as I said in my first post I tried using the T568B standard... I couldn't get the wires to lay right.. So I'm doing it wrong but it's gonna work... I suspect the Cat 5E would lay better because it probably doesn't have the plastic separator in the cable...

lulurocks(Ken)

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Platinum-Tools-Heavy-Duty-EZRJ45-Crimping-Tool-p/100054.htm

This is what i do for a living ... the two peice connectors are the way of the dinasaur.

The ezrj45 is sooo easy ..   allows you to push your cables thru and make sure your color code is
Right before you crimp and cut .

Make sure u buy the right connector for your cable .. cat6 or 5  etc

You  can buy just the tool and a bag of 25 cat6 connectirs  dont waste the money on the tech kit ..

Kewl_Wheels

Those ez connectors allowing the wires to pass through are slick. Here's pics of what I use... and the device really won't care about the order the wires are terminated as long as they are the same on both ends for what your doing. These crimpers push the pins into the wires and secure the retaining tab at the same time.and if you do a lot with a connector on each end these cable testers are relatively inexpensive for verifying the correct end to end wiring.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk