Main Menu

Question for the Canadian members

Started by MatchlessIndian, June 09, 2022, 01:58:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

Canada born and raised and I'll be buried here too - love my visits to the US - lived there once as a young kid for a short.
Vet is location flexible which is good and I understand demand and need is very high right now. What area of marketing is your experience in? Might depend on centers in that field.
S Ontario real estate is brutal - I wonder if you'll find anything under $500k - maybe in small more remote areas.
Taxes are high - but income is decent for good professionals as well. I did my career in engineering in S Ontario and managed to retire at 58.
Calgary is doing much much better these days with the price of oil up again. They got a double wammy with COVID pandemic and oil price hit. But they go as the price of oil goes - hopefully they will divest some of their energy investments while they have money now.
West coast is even worse for real estate - though gorgeous and the only place you can ride a motorcycle year round.
East coast is beautiful - I would consider a move there but for family anchors. Weather bit more of an issue at times but not crazy.
Unless you are fluent in French I would steer clear of Quebec - I think there may be another exodus coming there and their new language law is kinda rough for immigrants that are not Francophone.

dodj

Quote from: MatchlessIndian on June 12, 2022, 01:09:01 AM
I really can't speak on crime in Canada compared to the United States
Compared to USA...there is no crime in Canada. New York city has over double the gun deaths per year compared with ALL of Canada

Also you said you are ok with common sense gun laws. What I consider common sense gun laws went into effect in 1978 - training and passing a test to show you know to handle and be safe with a firearm, along with a background check for criminal history, domestic violence etc.
Since then successive Liberal gov'ts (liberal is a party name in Canada not just an adjective for a persons political leaning) have passed mostly 'banning' laws which defy common sense. For example in 1995 they banned the 25 ACP and the 32 ACP. Stores couldn't sell them anymore. For what reason? No idea. But you can't buy one in Canada anymore.
However, ownership is possible just more red tape. I own both handguns and rifles. But I think unlikely they will let you import your presently owned handguns. Maybe though, I've never had a reason to look into that part of the law.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill