Main Menu

Been having issues with my computer freezing, spinning beachball

Started by 1 Wild R/T, October 22, 2018, 10:41:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JH27N0B on October 28, 2018, 03:03:45 PM

I have a newer mini but its in a Ram mount as I use it in aviation which makes it clumsy to use in my house...

I'm sure you don't need it for flying but personally anything I would use for flight I don't think I'd allow it to be hooked to the internet for anything more than required updates.....

I have two laptops for programming PLC's that virtually never go on the internet unless I'm troubleshooting equipment thats connected (temporarily) to the internet....

JH27N0B

iPads are used with programs that provide charts and flight planning in flying. They call them electronic flight bags.  They must be connected to the Internet when planning a flight to download updates, get current weather forecasts, check for restrictions and concerns like unlit towers or resources out if service,  and submit flight plans.
I've never heard of any issues with them with viruses.  They sometimes overheat in the cockpit and shut off,  or the batteries run down, those are the only issues they have.
Whatever the case, I'm pretty old school, I flew for over 20 years with paper charts and still carry them for backup. I can do just fine without an iPad.  But sadly many newer pilots can't even fly a basic pattern at the airport without moving maps on the panel and their iPad, or they'd get lost!
But whatever the case, I like a full size iPad for home use.  I need to buy a new one, my 7 year old one I'm using now that I probably have used thousands of hours doesn't owe me anything!

Cudakiller70

Quote from: JH27N0B on October 28, 2018, 07:38:17 PM
  I need to buy a new one, my 7 year old one I'm using now that I probably have used thousands of hours doesn't owe me anything!
Same I think ours is 8 years old what a tank. Been pretty much flawless. Kids use it, everyone uses it. No IOS updates anymore though. This Black Friday/Cyber Monday looking for a large iPad.